Meade Lux Lewis

Son-of-a-Weizen

My Dad loves Boogie Woogie. He was down visiting last week and brought along a few discs from the Mosaic 'Boogie' Select I'd picked up for him. I really couldn't believe how giddy he got when it was on....almost like a kid! :lol: I'm thinking that I'd like to pick up for him a Meade Lux Lewis cd for Xmas and am looking at this one. It's oop, but I've seen a few (new) Amazon seller copies going for about $35. If anyone's familiar with this 14 track cd, it's the 3 or 4 full rompin' tracks like 'Joe Prein's Boogie', 'Bush Street Boogie' and 'Hangover Boogie' that are most up his alley. Should I go with this one.....or are there others I might want to check out first? Thanks.

d2731470642.jpg

there's a Blue Note Collection with him, Ammons, and James P. - great stuff, don't know if it's still available -

of course, the original Honky Tonk Train, on Paramount (1928?) is still incredible and on various collections; he also re-recorded it in 1935, I think

There's also a Riverside.

Edited by AllenLowe

Allen, this one's available - there was a 2CD Mosaic (which I don't have, alas):

416XM3D8DJL._SS500_.jpg

Also some Chrono Classics, I guess... yup: 1927-1939, 1939-1941, 1941-1944 - I have the first one, more great music!

The Verve Elite disc is fine, if you can get it I wouldn't hesitate! I think it was the very last VEE I got to complete my collection.

In addition to the out of print Mosaic set, look for these titles:

The Blues Piano Artistry of Meade Lux Lewis:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gxftxqqgldde

Alternate Takes Live Performances & Soundies:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dzfrxqqjldfe

I'm not a big fan of Cat House Piano, though I'm keeping my copy.

One to avoid is the Phillips LP Boogie Woogie House Party:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hxftxqqgldde

Chris, I should have remembered your involvement with the Riverside album, which has long been a favorite of mine.

Meade Lux Lewis had one additional outing after recording the Riverside date, the rather forgettable Phillips LP Boogie Woogie House Party, which I seem to recall was recorded in 1962.

I don't know if you want to go down-market, but this is such a ridiculous price that you should consider, if only as an add-on to whatever you wind up buying. Meade Lux Lewis has 7 tracks scattered across these 10 CDs (tracks are Randini's Boogie, Bearcat Crawl, Whistlin' Blues, Bass On Top, Honky Tonk Train Blues, Lux's Boogie, and Glendale Glide...no discographical data is provided). $15.49 from an Amazon reseller (yes, for 10 CDs):

4147wibjg5L._SS400_.jpg

My Dad loves Boogie Woogie. He was down visiting last week and brought along a few discs from the Mosaic 'Boogie' Select I'd picked up for him. I really couldn't believe how giddy he got when it was on....almost like a kid! :lol: I'm thinking that I'd like to pick up for him a Meade Lux Lewis cd for Xmas and am looking at this one. It's oop, but I've seen a few (new) Amazon seller copies going for about $35. If anyone's familiar with this 14 track cd, it's the 3 or 4 full rompin' tracks like 'Joe Prein's Boogie', 'Bush Street Boogie' and 'Hangover Boogie' that are most up his alley. Should I go with this one.....or are there others I might want to check out first? Thanks.

d2731470642.jpg

Well, the CD does give you a lot more music as I have the original Verve LP which only has 8 tracks. It's been many a year since I've listened to it but will do so and will compare this relatively late Meade Lux Lewis with his earlier work that is represented on a couple of boogie woogie LP anthologies I also have. Gives me a good excuse to get into an area of jazz I've completely lost touch with.

I don't know if you want to go down-market, but this is such a ridiculous price that you should consider, if only as an add-on to whatever you wind up buying. Meade Lux Lewis has 7 tracks scattered across these 10 CDs (tracks are Randini's Boogie, Bearcat Crawl, Whistlin' Blues, Bass On Top, Honky Tonk Train Blues, Lux's Boogie, and Glendale Glide...no discographical data is provided). $15.49 from an Amazon reseller (yes, for 10 CDs):

4147wibjg5L._SS400_.jpg

I'ld second that. A very worthy anthology from Membran. Like most Membran anthologies it's not perfect but you can't beat the prize!

From King Ubu:

"Allen, this one's available - there was a 2CD Mosaic (which I don't have, alas)"

416XM3D8DJL._SS500_.jpg

It was a BN reissue. One CD, not 2!

I don't have "Cat House Piano", but I recall liking it when I wrote the notes.

Was that among the titles that disappeared from your place in the 'great' cd heist you mentioned a few years back?

Having shamelessly said all that, l join those who recommend the original Blue Note recordings.

I wasn't even aware of this BN disc and will most definitely be ordering it. Appreciate all of the suggestions.

Alternate Takes Live Performances & Soundies:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dzfrxqqjldfe

Great suggestion. With 'Roll 'em Pete', 'Six Wheel Chaser,' & 'Fast Boogie'...this one is a must.

Ken, do you have any suggestions re: Boogie Woogie DVDs that I might try to track down?

Thanks,

Rolf