Tiger Woods in Car Accident

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or, its far more likely that a lot of people are gossips, and this is the way gossip is delivered - with expert opinion ladled on top - in the modern world. Need I mention that English isn't the language with a single word that means "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others"?

but golf is oh so elitist clean and everyone has a perfect white shirt, of course of course...

I don't recall seeing Jesper Parnevik ever wear a white shirt? :crazy: You sure you aren't thinking about Polo? ...and it's not elitist -- even though you're Swiss and enjoy the sound of inferior sounding product produced by Spanish labels --as opposed to Japanese -- I'd still allow you access to my Club. Well, depends what make of car you're currently driving. One of those late model Citroëns with a duck sticker on the back....and you can forget about it! ^_^

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I don't drive, so I have to come on the back of a horse or some such... or hope no one will slit my throat on the greyhound :ph34r:

Anyway, I'll bring some Jever pils to make sure you'll allow me in!

The only way that might happen is if Bertrand finds out that you've unearthed some unreleased Morgan or Shorter material in the Library of Congress and boarded the bus with it stashed in your Dokumententasche! :eye:

Jever's a fine start :cool: -- definitely entitles you to as many mulligans on the front nine as I saw Clinton take when he was there! 6 anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Need I mention that English isn't the language with a single word that means "pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others"?

According to Merriam-Webster, English has this word:

Main Entry: scha·den·freu·de

Pronunciation: \ˈshä-dən-ˌfrȯi-də\

Function: noun

Usage: often capitalized

Etymology: German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy

Date: 1895

: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

-_-

To all you Tiger haters: Adultery, as much disrespect as it shows to his wife, is NOT illegal. Golf is a sport, not a wedding vow. The damage Tiger has done to his marriage is his own affair and none of our damn business.

The man is the best golfer in the history of the game. And if there is any truth to tell, you can research professional sports clear back to Ty Cobbs and find drug use, infidelity, weapons possession, violent acts, spousal abuse etcetera ad nauseum.

These are athletes. Not the second in line to the Pope.

Seems to me that the old Biblical edict applies here: Ye without sin, cast the first stone.

Leave the man alone, fer crissakes already.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The man is the best golfer in the history of the game.

I'd give my left nut to have Tiger and Jack go toe to toe, both their primes, using today's equipment. That's the only way the "who's best" argument can ever be resolved. I'd even throw Hogan or Bobby Jones into that mix. If you've ever seen either of their swings, you know why.

I'd give my left nut to have Tiger and Jack go toe to toe, both their primes, using today's equipment. That's the only way the "who's best" argument can ever be resolved. I'd even throw Hogan or Bobby Jones into that mix. If you've ever seen either of their swings, you know why.

Oh, most definitely throw in Ben Hogan! Can't forget him.

I don't know about the left one as that might produce too much of a hip turn on the backswing and end up leaking things out to the right.

But I agree and love to see it done with old persimmons and steel. I'll take Jack in my bracket!

To all you Tiger haters: Adultery, as much disrespect as it shows to his wife, is NOT illegal. Golf is a sport, not a wedding vow. The damage Tiger has done to his marriage is his own affair and none of our damn business.

The man is the best golfer in the history of the game. And if there is any truth to tell, you can research professional sports clear back to Ty Cobbs and find drug use, infidelity, weapons possession, violent acts, spousal abuse etcetera ad nauseum.

Seems to me that the old Biblical edict applies here: Ye without sin, cast the first stone.

The problem with your argument is that Woods has -- for a financial return far greater I believe than anything he has earned from playing golf per se -- marketed himself as an all-round good guy role model. That's not to say that he hasn't done some remarkable things when it comes to guts and will as well as skill -- e.g. his almost one-legged win over Rocco Mediate in the U.S. Open -- but such genuine human-athletic feats essentially flow into and further Wood's carefully marketed image.

No, he's not second in line to the Pope, but he's certainly a key part in the machinery that was designed to foster the belief (so lucrative to him and to the corporations to which he was linked) that he was something of a paragon as a person as well as an athlete. In effect, Tiger Woods has been in part an actor playing the role of Tiger Woods, and part of his job there was to make sure that we could not see the difference. Now we can, and there's ... static. How much there should be, I don't know because I myself don't much care, but "leave the man alone" hardly seems fitting. Did the assiduous marketing of Woods over all these years leave us alone?

As for Ty Cobb, the actual man was not too far removed from the image of Cobb the surly S.O.B. that prevailed at the time. A better analogy might be another great golfer Bobby Jones, who always has been presented to the public as something of a paragon. If Jones instead were (you fill in the blank), might that not be of some significance?

P.S. As for the Pope, recent news stories, if true...

I'd even throw Hogan or Bobby Jones into that mix. If you've ever seen either of their swings, you know why.

I'd have to add in my favorite caddie/golfer.....Francis Ouimet, winner of the 1913 US Open at age 20. He'd clobber 'em all. :cool:

francis-ouimet-golfer-1.jpg

or how this Montague the Magnificent!

now if I had to round out a foursome I'd go Chi Chi, Trevino, Boros.

chris-crocker-cries.jpg

Whatever, Jazzmoose. Taking a page out of Dan Gould's playbook, eh?

A man's marital affairs are personal and private.

You want to think different....have a blast.

How that applies to Professional Golf is beyond me.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The problem with your argument is that Woods has -- for a financial return far greater I believe than anything he has earned from playing golf per se -- marketed himself as an all-round good guy role model. That's not to say that he hasn't done some remarkable things when it comes to guts and will as well as skill -- e.g. his almost one-legged win over Rocco Mediate in the U.S. Open -- but such genuine human-athletic feats essentially flow into and further Wood's carefully marketed image.

No, he's not second in line to the Pope, but he's certainly a key part in the machinery that was designed to foster the belief (so lucrative to him and to the corporations to which he was linked) that he was something of a paragon as a person as well as an athlete. In effect, Tiger Woods has been in part an actor playing the role of Tiger Woods, and part of his job there was to make sure that we could not see the difference. Now we can, and there's ... static. How much there should be, I don't know because I myself don't much care, but "leave the man alone" hardly seems fitting. Did the assiduous marketing of Woods over all these years leave us alone?

As for Ty Cobb, the actual man was not too far removed from the image of Cobb the surly S.O.B. that prevailed at the time. A better analogy might be another great golfer Bobby Jones, who always has been presented to the public as something of a paragon. If Jones instead were (you fill in the blank), might that not be of some significance?

P.S. As for the Pope, recent news stories, if true...

With all due respect, I fail to see the justification for prying into a man's personal affairs because of a marketing image and on any level. So he isn't squeaky clean. He's not perfect. Now what? Do we allow ourselves to believe he should be badgered for all time memorial because of what his sponsors foisted upon us via the media?

Seriously, who of us know what kind of a man Tiger Woods really is anyway? Do we base it upon the cynical say-so of a tabloid kiss-and-tell media? Babe Ruth was a womanizer and did little to disguise that fact. Yet we idolize that cigar smoking drunken lout over Barry Bonds because of a drug he is alleged to have taken.

It just seems to me that we place far too much significance upon the private and personal foibles of Tiger Woods all the while dismissing the same if not worse of other athletes....and with selective reasoning.

I have a problem with that, Larry.

Edited by GoodSpeak

[

With all due respect, I fail to see the justification for prying into a man's personal affairs because of a marketing image and on any level. So he isn't squeaky clean. He's not perfect. Now what? Do we allow ourselves to believe he should be badgered for all time memorial because of what his sponsors foisted upon us via the media?

Seriously, who of us know what kind of a man Tiger Woods really is anyway? Do we base it upon the cynical say-so of a tabloid kiss-and-tell media? Babe Ruth was a womanizer and did little to disguise that fact. Yet we idolize that cigar smoking drunken lout over Barry Bonds because of a drug he is alleged to have taken.

It just seems to me that we place far too much significance upon the private and personal foibles of Tiger Woods all the while dismissing the same if not worse of other athletes....and with selective reasoning.

I have a problem with that, Larry.

Did I say that he should be "badgered for time immemorial"? No -- I said that now "we can see [some dramatic difference between one side of the actual Tiger Woods and the widely marketed image of Woods as a human paragon as well as a great athlete], and there's ... static. How much there should be, I don't know because I myself don't much care, but 'leave the man alone' hardly seems fitting."

As for "what his sponsors foisted upon us," this was foisted upon Woods, too?