The Greatness Of Honky Tonk

JSngry

Both of those solos, Butler's & Scott's are so easy to almost play exactly. Butler's varied pick technique(?) - the 5th bar of his second chorus in particular - & the way that Scott pulls back on that (tenor) E in his "come on and do the Honky Tonk" chorus...sublime. And check out how Doggett lays into the shout chorus with an ever-so-quiet yet oh-so-hip Gb instead of just laying on the C7 like he does for the rest of the tune (technical talk, I know, but listen & you will hear).

But hey - here's a Ventures version in F featuring Harvey Mandel and Jackie Freakin' Kelso(!!!!!) that might well be the best cover I've heard yet:

If this was a blindfold test I NEVER would have picked The Ventures. Now I'm wondering if there's an earlier version...

Yes, and it is in E, and no, the guitarist doesn't come close to Butler in fluidity, grace, and/or musicality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OHPke8-NM

Now, that later version...how is that The Ventures except in name? But...if the whole record has Jackie Kelso playing like that, then it is one to find!

I'll be on the hunt for that.

Nice clip Jim R.

Besides the original I have later versions of Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett on the following: OOPS on Columbia mid 60s. Floyd Smith tackles Billy's solo. HONKY TONK ALA MOD on Roulette - Late 60s. Cornell Dupree on board here. A 1994 cd era release on Galaxy label called THE SOUND OF JAZZ.

I don't know of that Galaxy release; it must have been the last one he made. Could you post details please?

Bill also recorded "Honky tonk" for King on his album "Honky tonk popcorn" in the late sixties with members of the James Brown band. A very different version - Bill solos and plays Billy Butler's solo!

MG

Not a lot of info on the cd. There's no real notes. The cover says "The Sound of Jazz Vol 15" Galaxy 3886152 Made in E.E.C. Tunes are

Bill's Honky Tonk

Pots a Cookin'

I wish You Love

Dig The Thing

Midnight Sun

Flying Home

Charley's Alley

No personnel listing. The guitarist doesn't sound like Billy B. or Cornell.

Not a lot of info on the cd. There's no real notes. The cover says "The Sound of Jazz Vol 15" Galaxy 3886152 Made in E.E.C. Tunes are

Bill's Honky Tonk

Pots a Cookin'

I wish You Love

Dig The Thing

Midnight Sun

Flying Home

Charley's Alley

No personnel listing. The guitarist doesn't sound like Billy B. or Cornell.

Ah, right. From the track list, this is the August 1977 recording Bill made for Who's Who in Jazz, entitled "Lionel Hampton presents Bill Doggett". Your listing omits one track on the original LP - "Dug's pad". The personnel is

Bill Doggett - Organ, Piano

Larry Troit - Bass

Howard Overton - Drums

Sam Turner - Conga, Drums

Larry Luger - Guitar

Lionel Hampton - Vibes

Norris Turney - Alto Sax

Charles Williams - Alto Sax

David "Bubba" Brooks - Tenor Sax

MG

That album is excellent.

I've heard that one of those intern-net sites, what are they called, flogs?, has put this album up and has included a bonus mashup of "Honky Tonk" & Mjackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" called "The Way You Make Me Honky Tonk" and that it's not all that bad, actually, all things considered.