The Greatness Of Honky Tonk

JSngry

What a great record! A true classic (and when I was in high school and just starting to play I would have said a "Rock and Roll"classic). Every good tenor player and guitar player I know had those solos down - verbatim. Same with Hold It, Soul Twist and Green Onions. When I saw King Curtis play he had Honky Tonk in the repertoire and would sometimes modulate to G for the tenor solo. Nice.

The Bill Doggett original was a hit twice. I may have the years wrong but if memory serves first in 1954 and then in 1956 with the same track with an overdubbed bass. That's the version on both Jim and Chewy's link. The original vinyl "Honky Tonk" album on King has the organ bass unoverdubbed original.

When I was in high school the Ventures had the tune on an album and being a guitar band they played it in E natural. The Doggett record was in F. I thought it was truly lame to play it E. Even tho I played Fender Bass and some organ I played enough guitar to struggle through the solo from Honky Tonk and if I could do it in F then then guys that called themselves guitar players better do it in F. :cool:

An all time classic. I remember seeing Bill Doggett at a small club in the mid-1960's, and the tenor player (not one of the original guys) did the tenor solo note for note. Like Jacquet's "Flying Home", it had become part of the tune.

Billy Butler's guitar solo too. Also, Avery Parish's solo on "After hours" became part of the tune. I wonder how many others...

MG

Both of those solos, Butler's & Scott's are so easy to almost play exactly. Butler's varied pick technique(?) - the 5th bar of his second chorus in particular - & the way that Scott pulls back on that (tenor) E in his "come on and do the Honky Tonk" chorus...sublime. And check out how Doggett lays into the shout chorus with an ever-so-quiet yet oh-so-hip Gb instead of just laying on the C7 like he does for the rest of the tune (technical talk, I know, but listen & you will hear).

But hey - here's a Ventures version in F featuring Harvey Mandel and Jackie Freakin' Kelso(!!!!!) that might well be the best cover I've heard yet:

Yeah, what does it say about the mojo of the original that Jimmy Smith played it without soloing? I mean (to use a JOS album title), DAMN!

Indeed! That was the point of the QRT :D

The guy who put up the video didn't know who the tenor player & guitarist were. Herman Riley and Terry Evans is my guess - they were in the band when JOS recorded the tune for Milestone in '89 and it looks like some photos I've seen of Herman Riley - though not the sleeve of his LP. What do you think?

MG

Both of those solos, Butler's & Scott's are so easy to almost play exactly. Butler's varied pick technique(?) - the 5th bar of his second chorus in particular - & the way that Scott pulls back on that (tenor) E in his "come on and do the Honky Tonk" chorus...sublime. And check out how Doggett lays into the shout chorus with an ever-so-quiet yet oh-so-hip Gb instead of just laying on the C7 like he does for the rest of the tune (technical talk, I know, but listen & you will hear).

But hey - here's a Ventures version in F featuring Harvey Mandel and Jackie Freakin' Kelso(!!!!!) that might well be the best cover I've heard yet:

If this was a blindfold test I NEVER would have picked The Ventures. Now I'm wondering if there's an earlier version or am I maybe thinking of .....Duane Eddy :g

The greatness of Billy Butler and Clifford Scott's solos owe a lot to great delivery.

I read an interview with Butler (I think in Guitar Player Magazine) where he said he got the first phrase of his solo from Jimmy Reed's "Baby, You Don't Have To Go"

I'm more familiar with Doggett's 1969 version of "Honky Tonk" on King. I love music of this variety, it's all about the mean, funky groove.

I only know Butler from his Legends Of Acid Jazz comp on Prestige, cool to know he helped make jams like this one.

King Curtis did a nice version of "Honky tonk" on his "Soul serenade" album, for Capitol. Billy Butler AND Cornell Dupree on guitar. He did one for Trusound, too, ("Old gold") with Dupree and Gale and McDuff. And YET ANOTHER for Atco on the "Everybody's talkin'" LP, with Dupree and Billy Preston.

He rather liked the tune :)

Oh, and James Brown's version is a bit of a killer, too.

MG

Both of those solos, Butler's & Scott's are so easy to almost play exactly. Butler's varied pick technique(?) - the 5th bar of his second chorus in particular...

First of all, after 30+ years of listening to this, I still get those spine tingles. I've also spent considerable time listening to other guitar players try to replicate it (including me), and... it just ain't possible. There was only one Billy Butler.

To put a face (and another brief solo) to the name, here's a clip which was taken from a documentary called "That Rhythm, Those Blues", circa 1980 (?), which featured some great interviews with the likes of Charles Brown, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Ruth Brown. I want to say that this clip was in color in the original documentary, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it shows Billy in his later years, onstage with Ruth Brown:

Nice clip Jim R.

Besides the original I have later versions of Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett on the following: OOPS on Columbia mid 60s. Floyd Smith tackles Billy's solo. HONKY TONK ALA MOD on Roulette - Late 60s. Cornell Dupree on board here. A 1994 cd era release on Galaxy label called THE SOUND OF JAZZ.

The King Curtis "EVERYBODY'S TALKIN'" MG mentions earlier is the only version I've heard where the guitarist DOESN'T Play Billy's solo. Cornell goes his own way and turns in a very apropos solo.

If this was a blindfold test I NEVER would have picked The Ventures. Now I'm wondering if there's an earlier version...

Yes, and it is in E, and no, the guitarist doesn't come close to Butler in fluidity, grace, and/or musicality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OHPke8-NM

Now, that later version...how is that The Ventures except in name? But...if the whole record has Jackie Kelso playing like that, then it is one to find!

Nice clip Jim R.

Besides the original I have later versions of Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett on the following: OOPS on Columbia mid 60s. Floyd Smith tackles Billy's solo. HONKY TONK ALA MOD on Roulette - Late 60s. Cornell Dupree on board here. A 1994 cd era release on Galaxy label called THE SOUND OF JAZZ.

I don't know of that Galaxy release; it must have been the last one he made. Could you post details please?

Bill also recorded "Honky tonk" for King on his album "Honky tonk popcorn" in the late sixties with members of the James Brown band. A very different version - Bill solos and plays Billy Butler's solo!

MG