Philly Joe Jones

Norm

Here's a later day favorite:

a0096263.jpg

Philly Joe Jones - Mean What You Say (Sonet (Swd) SNTF 735)

Tommy Turrentine (tp -3/6) Charles Bowen (ts, ss) Mickey Tucker (p) Mickey Bass (b) Philly Joe Jones (d)

NYC, April 6 & 7, 1977

1. Mean What You Say

2. Ugetsu

3. You Tell Me

4. D.C. Farewell

5. Jim's Jewel

6. Gretchen

Edited by marcello

There's also an interesting-looking one on Gerard Terrones' Marge label.

Philly Joe Jones - Filet De Sole (Marge (F) 18)

Roger Guerin (tp -1/4,6) Glenn Ferris (tb -1/4,6) Hirshel McGinnis (as -1/4,6) Charles Davis (ts) Hal Singer (ts -1/4,6) Gene Adler (p) Wilbur Little (b) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Paris, France, June 19, 1981

1. Trailways Express

2. Dedicated To Tadd

3. Our Delight

4. Two Bass Hit

5. Hi-Fly

6. Killer Joe

** also issued on EPM Musique (F) 151972.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Yes, Filet de Soul! I think this must be the third or fourth thread were brownie and me recommend this one in tandem, so to speak :)

The Sonet looks tasty but I guess it's hard to find if there are no used vinyl stores around...

jones_phill_filletdes_101b.jpg

Like the French puns on his name. "Philly Mignon" was another good one!

I've picked up Cookin', Steamin' and Relaxin' so I guess I should just go ahead and get Walkin' and Workin' ...doesn't seem like you can do wrong with these early Miles dates.

You should pick up "The New Miles Davis Quintet", the first recording this group released.

61N9QM-Iw6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

BTW, if you can find them for a reasonable price, the DCC gold CD versions of these dates sound phenomenal. You should be able to pick up "The New Miles Davis Quintet" on a DCC gold CD for less than $25 these days. Somebody on the Hoffman forums has a copy for $22 right now.

Later,

Kevin

I've picked up Cookin', Steamin' and Relaxin' so I guess I should just go ahead and get Walkin' and Workin' ...doesn't seem like you can do wrong with these early Miles dates.

You should pick up "The New Miles Davis Quintet", the first recording this group released.

61N9QM-Iw6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

BTW, if you can find them for a reasonable price, the DCC gold CD versions of these dates sound phenomenal. You should be able to pick up "The New Miles Davis Quintet" on a DCC gold CD for less than $25 these days. Somebody on the Hoffman forums has a copy for $22 right now.

Later,

Kevin

Philly Joe is my hero in music period!! Wynton Kelly's Kelly At Midnight is some of my favorite Philly Joe! The guy could do anything. Brush playing was incredible, he had a big poppin beat and the way he hit those drums were special. His playing came from the Charles Wilcoxin books. Very rudimentally based! Studied with Cozy Cole and Klook and was such an innovator. His playing on all those Blue Notes in the 50's early 60's and the stuff with Miles of course always leaves me speechless! My all time favorite!!

Check out "Billy Boy"

Philly Joe would have been better, musically, but I guess his "issues" got the better of him too often, and he wasn't Prestige's (nor Blue Note's) preferred session drummer, alas.

Blue Note's Al Lion loved Philly Joe, and used him a lot. But he wasn't popular at Prestige.