More goddam computer problems

Apple does not make hard drives. Their products usually use Hitachi. Apple has an external hard drive on the market called Time Capsule. It encases a Hitachi 1TB Deskstar. It suffers from the same issues that any hard drive is susceptible to.

http://timecapsuledead.org/

No matter what your brand loyalty, back it up.

I am currently using a Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS which runs Linux. Windows PC and Macs read/write to it every day.

*lovingly typed from a MBP.

Oh well, I spent a lot of yesterday making sure I had backups of the most important stuff (which I always do) and also the less important stuff, which I often can't be asked to backup. Every time I got the error, I had to turn it off and restart. About three quarters of the way through, I went down to make a cup of tea while it was rebooting and found, when I got back, that a startup checkdisk utility that only appears once in a blue moon had started and was finding - and trying to repair - all the errors. So when that was finished, and of course it hadn't repaired all the errors, I worked out that I'd lost very little interesting stuff and backed up the bits that I hadn't already covered and which I hadn't lost and decided to let the rest that hadn't been lost lose itself when I reformatted.

I reformatted this morning. Then, before I started writing data back to the hard drive, ran a virus scan, just in case - but it was OK. And after lunch started putting data back on the external. It takes bleeding ages to reorganise stuff. Just finished. Will order a new external hard drive, in view of what you all say. I shan't junk this one - I'll use the two together, one backing up the other.

Thanks for all your advice, folks.

MG

• 2 months later...

No, other than when I go to cduniverse the browser crashes every time. That's the only site it happens with. Weird.

Yeah--same thing was happening to me with Newbury Comics Saturday night! I placed the order the next day on my computer at work (which hasn't received the latest Firefox update yet) and it went through fine.

At the risk of stating the obvious (I'd better say that), you need an external hard drive though. I lost a lot of precious data when my computer had to have: a new motherboard, processor and main hard drive. (And all because some foreign geeks are clever at making viruses etc.)

The Gestapo took a friend's computer away, based on a faked accusation. If they take mine, they won't deprive me of diddly squat of any value, because all files of value, none illegal, are on a hidden external drive that a sniffer dog would have trouble finding. So, I hope that that drive isn't unstable. (Maybe I should back-back-up everything onto a second external drive. This kind of issue makes one appreciate even more the scripture "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." (Matthew 24:35))

Edited by Shrdlu