More goddam computer problems

I've had a few messages from Windows today when I've tried to access my external hard drive to say it's not formatted and doesn't contain a recognisable file system. I think it's a lie, because after rebooting earlier, I was able to access it. But I've tried twice this afternoon and get the same result.

I've heard hard drives are unpredictable. Does it sound like this has had it? Anyone know?

MG

If I reboot after getting that message, it lets me into one of the small directories - one with mainly text files (though I haven't tried to fire up a file; but all the sub-directories are there). As soon as I try to access one of the music directories or photos, it says there's nothing there.

MG

Well, it's back now. But I suppose I had better take this as a sign that it's going to give out pretty soon and start to think about thinking about forming a band - no, no, getting a backup HD!

MG

Amazingly, my connection was good enough to get the 3:59!

Yes.

MG

MG, have you checked the How-To Geek site and forums? *Definitely* my 1st go-to for computer problems.... they explain everything in plain, readable English - I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's part of their mission statement. :)

I've gotten lots of answers and help there.

Thanks Seeline - I tried that site. Never heard of it before. Found a forum thread with the identical problem but it never reached a conclusion to say whether the last thing the guy tried worked or not.

Oh well... I suppose I'll be better off having two than one.

MG

My advice: go now and purchase a RAID-capable NAS and transfer your data immediately. Don't let that external shut down again until it has been backed up completely!

Once backed up, wipe the drive and reformat. You may be ok at that point, but a lot of folks would buy a new enclosure if it fails again. Often times, that will solve your problems.

Depending on the value of the data, the expense is negligible.

Good luck Maggie.

My advice: go now and purchase a RAID-capable NAS and transfer your data immediately. Don't let that external shut down again until it has been backed up completely!

Once backed up, wipe the drive and reformat. You may be ok at that point, but a lot of folks would buy a new enclosure if it fails again. Often times, that will solve your problems.

Depending on the value of the data, the expense is negligible.

Good luck Maggie.

:tup

Macs still have harddrive failures.

I agree with impossible. Get your valuable stuff off it as soon as possible. It sounds like the directory table might be on its way out. Never a good thing.

Rather than re-format and hope it doesn't crap out again, I'd just buy a new harddrive and put it in the old case once you have everything you want off it.

I recommend, to everyone here, to wipe everything you own and re-format it with Vista.*************

*******disclaimer: person making this suggestion has been running a fever for 4 days and cannot be held responsible for any remarks posted while under the influence of various pharmaceuticals

For the record, the worst computer I've owned so far has been my wife's macbook that I bought for her. Nothing but trouble with that thing. So Macs are not impervious to hardware issues. The software side of the equation... that's a different story! :)

Huh. I have a Macbook and have never had any trouble with it. Love it.

I'm no computer nerd, but I've owned both mac and Windows PC, and use Windows at work. The Mac platform is muuuuuuch smoother.

For moi, anyways.