2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

Brad,

Where did you hear this was a done? I've rounded up all the usual suspects and checked the Freep and the Detroit News but all anyone is saying is that the three teams involved are getting close to a deal. I don't like the Yankees giving up their #1 prospect or Phil Coke, but it's pretty clear what Granderson can do at the major league level, and he's only 28, so that's tempering my concern.

I'm not enthused about this deal at all. I thought Coke was it, and Jackson never got a chance to show what he can do on the major league level. Grandrson is not very impressive as a player:

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards

2009 28 DET AL 160 710 631 91 157 23 8 30 71 20 6 72 141 .249 .327 .453 .780 100 286 1 2 3 2 4 *8 AS

For a guy with some pop his slugging % is not all that good, his OBP is lousy. I guess we can hope he gets better...

Why are you just looking at last year's stats? His OBP was just dandy in 2007 & 2008. In 2007 he was one of 4 players in baseball history who had over 20 doubles, triples, homers & stolen bases in a season. He was also 10th in MVP balloting that year.

Last year he was killed by LHP and it is a weakness in his game, but with Jeter, Teix, ARod this isn't much of a problem for the Yankees. It's also been noted that thanks to trades there aren't very many lefty pitchers in the division that he'll have to face (pretty much just Lester.) He's a big bump in all around play at CF for you and he's a good person too. As I've pretty much plagiarized Posnaski's take, I'll rip off one more thought that he's been hurt by Comerica and now he's playing half his games at Yankee Stadium. I think given what was available for CF you done good.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY CRAP!! THE PHILLES JUST TRADED CLIFF LEE TO THE M'S AND GOT HALLADAY IN RETURN. Don't like it but if Lee was determined to test the FA waters after next season I guess it had to be done.

Yeah, and the Red Sox just signed John Lackey to a five-year deal. Wow! Gonna be tough for NY to deal with Boston's starting rotation, that's for sure...and Matthew will surely be psyched about the Cliff Lee pick-up.

Berigan, what's your take on Rafael Soriano?

He's got to be an upgrade as closer for the Rays.

Well, as usual, our GM figured on getting a ton of 1st round picks, and was wrong. Not all of his fault of course.... Rays got a very good closer(His fastball is a bit straight and will go through a 1-2 week period each year of giving up homers) for next to nothing. Braves refuse to pay a nickel of anyone's contract...too good for it. So they get next to nothing for one of the better closers.

Your team will be much better because of him! Just don't expect him to be chatty. Our beat writer was a bit afraid of him in fact! ;)

HOLY CRAP!! THE PHILLES JUST TRADED CLIFF LEE TO THE M'S AND GOT HALLADAY IN RETURN. Don't like it but if Lee was determined to test the FA waters after next season I guess it had to be done.

Hope Johnny , Quincy, and all the other Mariners fans here have taken their heart meds! :excited: They are the team to beat, it looks like!

Can't believe how much the Angels have screwed up this off season. Losing Figgins, now Lackey. What is their thinking, if they have any thinking????

Might work out for the Braves though. Wren overpaid for Lowe last year, and has 3 years left on his contract, (15 Mil a year) 4.67 ERA last year. and is or will be 37. But, the Angels are in a fix for a starter of some stature.

Now someone else will get stuck with our mistake! ;)

Edited by BERIGAN

Yeah, and the Red Sox just signed John Lackey to a five-year deal. Wow! Gonna be tough for NY to deal with Boston's starting rotation, that's for sure...and Matthew will surely be psyched about the Cliff Lee pick-up.

King Felix and Lee is just a sick 1-2 combo. I wonder if the M's will step up and keep Lee from going to the Yanks? Just once I wish the Phillies would open the vaults and pull a Steinbrenner. Could you imagine Lee AND Halladay in red pinstripes??? Oh my....

Hope Johnny , Quincy, and all the other Mariners fans here have taken their heart meds! :excited: They are the team to beat, it looks like!

Can't believe how much the Angels have screwed up this off season. Losing Figgins, now Lackey. What is their thinking, if they have any thinking????

I still haven't wrapped my head around it. It's one thing to improve the M's, but the way the Angels keep shedding players in the process...whew-ee. However I'm paranoid enough about how well the Angels are run that I feel like I need to sit down and look over who they have left, who could be coming up from the minors and who they could yet sign or trade for. I'm very happy though to get Lee, as I was Figgins. :)

Lee and Felix at the top of the rotation, with a (hopefully) improved Morrow as the three starter -- that could be a killer staff. Just wondering what the Mariners gave up (Phillippe Aumont?), and if there is any kind of agreement with Lee for after the 2010 season. Still, the Angels look weaker, so the Mariners might have a legit shot this time. Of course, everyone was excited about the 2008 season, and look how that wound up, but still, major props to the Mariners on this deal.

Berigan, what's your take on Rafael Soriano?

He's got to be an upgrade as closer for the Rays.

Well, as usual, our GM figured on getting a ton of 1st round picks, and was wrong. Not all of his fault of course.... Rays got a very good closer(His fastball is a bit straight and will go through a 1-2 week period each year of giving up homers) for next to nothing. Braves refuse to pay a nickel of anyone's contract...too good for it. So they get next to nothing for one of the better closers.

Your team will be much better because of him! Just don't expect him to be chatty. Our beat writer was a bit afraid of him in fact! ;)

Thanks. And sorry 'bout stealing him from you, but Rays were in desperate need there.

Don't mind so much if he isn't too chatty as long as he can get three outs. ;)

Not to rain on the Mariner's parade, but Tim Kirkjian at ESPN says he is unable to confirm that Cliff Lee is on his way to Seattle. He's wondering why the Phillies would move him when they have him locked up at a bargain basement price for another year. Needless to say where there's smoke, there's usually fire, but this doesn't appear to be a done deal.

Edited by Dave James

Not to rain on the Mariner's parade, but Tim Kirkjian at ESPN says he is unable to confirm that Cliff Lee is on his way to Seattle. He's wondering why the Phillies would move him when they have him locked up at a bargain basement price for another year. Needless to say where there's smoke, there's usually fire, but this doesn't appear to be a done deal.

It's not a done deal yet, and there's a posibility that the M's may include Morrow as part of the deal. If it goes through I think it makes the Phillies better, but not by a lot. If they had kept Lee and traded for Halliday that's great 1-2 punch.

Sad to see Matsui go, he can still hit and he always was a class act all the way.

Edited by PHILLYQ

It's not a done deal yet, and there's a posibility that the M's may include Morrow as part of the deal. If it goes through I think it makes the Phillies better, but not by a lot. If they had kept Lee and traded for Halliday that's great 1-2 punch.

Sad to see Matsui go, he can still hit and he always was a class act all the way.

Philly Inky is now reporting that Happ, Blanton, prized prospect Dominic Brown took Physicals today. Lee did not take a physical nor has his agent been contacted by anyone but the press. It maybe a two team trade after all. Stay tuned.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20091214_ap_royhalladayinphiladelphiaforaphysical.html

Philly Inky is now reporting that Happ, Blanton, prized prospect Dominic Brown took Physicals today. Lee did not take a physical nor has his agent been contacted by anyone but the press. It maybe a two team trade after all. Stay tuned.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20091214_ap_royhalladayinphiladelphiaforaphysical.html

Hey, I'd be just as thrilled to have Happ on the M's. The Phils have some terrific lefties, so here's hoping we get one of them. :)

http://www.philly.co...raphysical.html

Hey, I'd be just as thrilled to have Happ on the M's. The Phils have some terrific lefties, so here's hoping we get one of them. :)

I have a feeling if this deal isn't done today, it's over.