It's that time...

I wish they'd 86 this saving's time thing.

I suppose it depends how far north you live - the farther north, the greater the effect. I like the summer time, when it stays light (a little bit) until gone 11pm. When, in the sixties, the Government experimented by not putting us back onto GMT in the winter, I hated it - I couldn't get up in those dark mornings.

MG

You could always move to Arizona - no DLS there. :cool:

Isn't there someplace in Indiana where they also don't change?

You're late. The clocks went back last week.

The clocks went back last week in Europe, not in America.

I believe they use the Julian calendar too.

Cannonball knows all about the changes. :)

:crazy:

America gets weirder and weirder! Well, I just had to look at a map, didn't I?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-usa12.php

So there's a small part of Arizona (a small part!!!) that is the same as the rest of its time zone and changes twice a year, and the rest stays the same twice a year. But inside that small part, there's another part that doesn't change. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

And there's a part of Indiana (the bit by Chicago) that has decided it'll follow Chicago and not the rest of the state (not entirely unreasonable, I guess) - but that does appear to change in conformity with Chicago.

MG

:crazy:

America gets weirder and weirder! Well, I just had to look at a map, didn't I?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-usa12.php

So there's a small part of Arizona (a small part!!!) that is the same as the rest of its time zone and changes twice a year, and the rest stays the same twice a year. But inside that small part, there's another part that doesn't change. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

And there's a part of Indiana (the bit by Chicago) that has decided it'll follow Chicago and not the rest of the state (not entirely unreasonable, I guess) - but that does appear to change in conformity with Chicago.

MG

Hawaii doesn't participate either! Canada, being our hat, does whatever we tell them to do! :w

I want double DST like during WW2! :bwallace:

You're late. The clocks went back last week.

The clocks went back last week in Europe, not in America.

I believe they use the Julian calendar too.

No, the trusty Gregorian. But Bush had to go and screw up DST like he screwed up so much else. For 40-odd years the time change occurred on the same days of the year, then in 2006 they had to move them two or three weeks. Now I have to reset my VCR FOUR times a year (because it used to change automatically on the correct day in the Spring and Fall, but that became the incorrect day....pisses me off!)

Edited by BruceH

I have to get up when it's pitch black out, regardless of where the clock are.

I really like the ritual. It's one of those things that throws a spanner into regularity. There's something very warming about the first Sunday evening after the clocks go back, huddled indoors with tea and crumpets. And although losing an hour in March is a pain it's great when the light leaps forrward an hour in one go.

I bit like Easter, I suppose. A real pain in the neck for planning an academic year. But, again, ensures one year is not exactly like the next.

Think of the clocks changing and moveable Easter as nature's way of playing Monk accents on the seasons.