Sports: 2009/10 NBA & NCAA Basketball Season

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas A&M had been playing some pretty good hoops this year, and was ranked #19 going into last night's game vs. Washington.

It was a back and forth game until senior Derrick Roland went up for a shot and came down funny, breaking his tibia and fibula. It was a gruesome break, though luckily the cameras didn't catch the actual moment. They said the sound of the snapping could be heard throughout the arena, and Roland's Aggie teammates were literally crying for at least 5 minutes afterwards. They lost their composure, and were never able to get back into the game.

Roland was the heart and soul of the team, which was previously projected as a #5 seed in the NCAA tourney. I don't know if they'll be able to rebound from this or not. Roland was the team's best defender, and the best defensive player in the Big 12.

You can see the bad angle in his leg in this picture (which I will remove if it bothers anyone)...

Derrick-Roland.jpg

Can't let that Christmas day feature game go without a comment or two. As a Cavs fan fearful of somewhat ruining a family holiday feast (French onion soup, beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, apple crisp type dessert...mmm), I opted not to watch the first half. After dinner, we gathered around to watch most of the fourth quarter. Wow.

Cavs are on a bit of a roll right now. Coach Brown is doing a better job handling Shaq and Ilgauskas minutes in the middle. Delonte West is a good state right now. Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker are contributing nicely. Mo Williams is playing tremendously. LeBron continues to be LeBron.

They've won 9 of their last 10, including at Phoenix (first and last visitor to PHX to do that--Steve Nash seriously outplayed by Mo), at a tough Sacramento team (Tyreke Evans will win ROY, Celtics lost there last night without facing TE), and at the Lakers. Tonight and Thursday will be a good test: ATL away and home.

Against the Lakers, it was nice to see the additions peforming well. Shaq contributing to the effort inside on Gasol/Bynum, Moon and Parker chasing Kobe. Cavs got totally abused inside last year. It was only one game, but Gasol/Bynum/Odom combined for 21 pts and 17 rebounds while Shaq/Varejao/Ilgauskas went for 22 and 25. Kobe went for 35, but needed 32 shots to get there. Meanwhile, Ron Artest didn't have much success (as he has had in the past) slowing down LeBron. Would the Lakers be better with Ariza instead of Artest? I don't watch enough Laker games to have much of an informed opinion, but based on a few LAL and HOU games, I'd go with TA.

If/when the Lakers win again we'll (understandably) hear more about how great they are. But on one day, perhaps the biggest regular season date of the year, they were not good. While we fully expect the ingame whining about the officating, why does Zenmaster Phil take a delay of game technical for not inserting a sub for the tossed Lamar Odom? Just put a scrub in and move on. Show an ounce of class. DFish and Kobe each cheapshotting Mo Williams, real classy fellas. Laker fans throwing foam hands and water bottles on the court, real classy. Cavs played one of their best games of the year, dominating throughout. Lakers appeared not to be giving much respect from the start (just another inferior outfit from the Eastern Conference playing the defending champs???), and felt they were the victims of lousy officiating. Lakers couldn't/wouldn't/didn't adjust to how the Cavs played or how the refs called it and had a bad game. But then they couldn't stop crying about it--the head coach, their best player on the planet, the big game veteran guard, etc. etc.

Delonte West is key. He is their best perimeter defender, and after LeBron is next best at creating his own shot. When he is out there, Mo can focus more on being a scorer. That DW dunk on Josh Smith was sick--worth the taunting technical that he then received (and ATL missed). LeBron had his worst scoring night of the year--6 of 20 for 14 pts--yet still flirted with a triple double and shut Joe Johnson down (12 pts in first quarter, only 2 or 3 rest of the way). Happy with the team win, but hoping for better performance tomorrow night at the Q. [On NBA TV, Shaq graded the Cavs game as a "C+"].

Can't let that Christmas day feature game go without a comment or two. As a Cavs fan fearful of somewhat ruining a family holiday feast (French onion soup, beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, apple crisp type dessert...mmm), I opted not to watch the first half. After dinner, we gathered around to watch most of the fourth quarter. Wow.

Cavs are on a bit of a roll right now. Coach Brown is doing a better job handling Shaq and Ilgauskas minutes in the middle. Delonte West is a good state right now. Jamario Moon and Anthony Parker are contributing nicely. Mo Williams is playing tremendously. LeBron continues to be LeBron.

They've won 9 of their last 10, including at Phoenix (first and last visitor to PHX to do that--Steve Nash seriously outplayed by Mo), at a tough Sacramento team (Tyreke Evans will win ROY, Celtics lost there last night without facing TE), and at the Lakers. Tonight and Thursday will be a good test: ATL away and home.

Against the Lakers, it was nice to see the additions peforming well. Shaq contributing to the effort inside on Gasol/Bynum, Moon and Parker chasing Kobe. Cavs got totally abused inside last year. It was only one game, but Gasol/Bynum/Odom combined for 21 pts and 17 rebounds while Shaq/Varejao/Ilgauskas went for 22 and 25. Kobe went for 35, but needed 32 shots to get there. Meanwhile, Ron Artest didn't have much success (as he has had in the past) slowing down LeBron. Would the Lakers be better with Ariza instead of Artest? I don't watch enough Laker games to have much of an informed opinion, but based on a few LAL and HOU games, I'd go with TA.

If/when the Lakers win again we'll (understandably) hear more about how great they are. But on one day, perhaps the biggest regular season date of the year, they were not good. While we fully expect the ingame whining about the officating, why does Zenmaster Phil take a delay of game technical for not inserting a sub for the tossed Lamar Odom? Just put a scrub in and move on. Show an ounce of class. DFish and Kobe each cheapshotting Mo Williams, real classy fellas. Laker fans throwing foam hands and water bottles on the court, real classy. Cavs played one of their best games of the year, dominating throughout. Lakers appeared not to be giving much respect from the start (just another inferior outfit from the Eastern Conference playing the defending champs???), and felt they were the victims of lousy officiating. Lakers couldn't/wouldn't/didn't adjust to how the Cavs played or how the refs called it and had a bad game. But then they couldn't stop crying about it--the head coach, their best player on the planet, the big game veteran guard, etc. etc.

Lakers had a bad shooting game. Not much to take from it other than that. Artest has actually fit in perfectly, but I'd also rather have Ariza since his game is so much more exciting. The absence of Artest the last few games (double OT win, blowout loss, barely winning last night) has shown how valuable Ron Ron is to the Lakers.

Kobe and Fish have taken to chippy play for years, it's nothing new. Maybe it isn't classy. It resulted in a championship last season, so obviously they consider it the way they need to play.

As a Laker fan, I don't fear the Cavs in a seven game series. I don't see the Cavs getting through Boston or Orlando, and if they do the Lakers will take them down in five or six games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it was meaningless game on the last night of the season between the Blazers and Warriors but if this was Nellies last game as a coach he coached the game of his life.

He had 8 players suited up but the 3 of them were injured (you have to have at least 8 players in uniform) so last night he had only 5 players which was basically Ellis, A rookie (Curry who is amazing btw) and 3 D League players. One of them fouled out so he had to have the other 3 injured players go out on the court for one play say they were injured and leave the arena so that the player that fouled out could go back in. If he fouled anybody the other team got a technical in addition to the foul free throws. Against all odds the Warriors won this game which was also on the road. Nice story that will be forgotten in a day but it deserves some mention.

Edited by WorldB3

I know it was meaningless game on the last night of the season between the Blazers and Warriors but if this was Nellies last game as a coach he coached the game of his life.

He had 8 players suited up but the 3 of them were injured (you have to have at least 8 players in uniform) so last night he had only 5 players which was basically Ellis, A rookie (Curry who is amazing btw) and 3 D League players. One of them fouled out so he had to have the other 3 injured players go out on the court for one play say they were injured and leave the arena so that the player that fouled out could go back in. If he fouled anybody the other team got a technical in addition to the foul free throws. Against all odds the Warriors won this game which was also on the road. Nice story that will be forgotten in a day but it deserves some mention.

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I'm not going to say the Bulls have suddenly made the series interesting (like last year -- what an incredible series!), but they at least will not be humiliated by going down without a fight. It will be 4-1 or maybe even 4-2 Cleveland in what is probably Cleveland's year.

Well, I'm not going to say the Bulls have suddenly made the series interesting (like last year -- what an incredible series!), but they at least will not be humiliated by going down without a fight. It will be 4-1 or maybe even 4-2 Cleveland in what is probably Cleveland's year.

Agreed. Rose and Noah are tough. Taj Gibson looks promising. Bulls need a true center so that Noah can be a total beast at PF. Some lousy officiating tonight (both ways, though looks like Bulls got the worst of it). Weird game in that LeBron did not assert himself until the fourth qtr (yet still finished an assist short of a second consecutive triple double). LeBron/Jamison screen roll was unguardable in the first half, yet Cavs decide not to go back to it ever again. Why? Nice to see Shaq get something done before the inevitable foul trouble.

If there was any way the Bulls could land DWade...

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't just LeBron that quit. It was the whole frigging team, for practically every game against the C's. Really infuriating for Cavs fans. With the close games against the Bulls, one thought that they were taking a playoff opponent little lightly (always dangerous). Then they got the team they wanted--the Celtics. And just plain quit. LeBron has always been a bit of a moody player, but what a lousy time to be off. Elbow probably is contributing a bit to his lousy play, but not enough to excuse anything, especially the complete lack of hustle. Now the LeBron sweepstakes reaches a new cringing level. More arrogant NY Knicks fans making pathetic passes at LeBron. Some nonsense that LeBron will go with Calipari to Chicago? It will be a very long summer in Cleveland. Cavs will be looking for a new coaching staff (save for maybe Chris Jent unless he follows LeBron elsewhere), and maybe a new GM if Ferry remains loyal to Brown.

Gotta hand it to the C's. They have really improved their play in the post-season. KG's knees are a lot better than LeBron's elbow. Paul Pierce is still largely missing in action, and it's now Rondo's team. I'm not much of a fan of any of the remaining teams save for the Suns who have absolutely no chance.

Gotta hand it to the C's. They have really improved their play in the post-season. KG's knees are a lot better than LeBron's elbow. Paul Pierce is still largely missing in action, and it's now Rondo's team. I'm not much of a fan of any of the remaining teams save for the Suns who have absolutely no chance.

Orlando might play the worst team defense I've ever seen from a team that made it to the conference finals. Yesterday the Celtics had uncontested layup after layup. I thought I was watching a warm up drill. I blame the Magic's inability to stop all of those backdoor layups on the coach. This is going to be a short series if the Magic can't defend their own basket.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

The LeBron propaganda machine is trying very hard to shift the blame away from him and toward the rest of the team.

They might want to rethink that Delonte West / LBJ's mom rumor though.... :ph34r:

... I also don't get how the chance to play for Calipari is going to be an incentive to Labron -- what the heck? JC has won jackstuff as a coach.