Joe Henderson's 1958 Selmer Mk VI

JohnS

At a gig the other evening I spoke to Brit tenor saxophonist Dave O'Higgins. He told me that the insrument he was using belonged to Joe Henderson. He found the sax in Roberto's in New York while having his own sax adjusted. Looking along the line of tenors for sale he spotted this one and liked the look and feel of it. Big bucks apparently.

Incidentally Dave is a fine player and has toured Europe with Eric Alexander as a two tenor group. They have a cd out. I've not heard it but know O'Higgins and Alexander it can't be bad.

If that was the instrument I saw Joe play in 1990 there was hardly any lacquer left on it !

Looks like the one, more or less lacquer less.

And the sound that he got out of it was totally inimitable. Sort of smoky, laid back - just like his classic Blue Notes. When I walked into the club he was soloing on 'Recorda Me' for a good long, typically cryptic solo and it was like being transported into Van Gelders. If it's the same instrument as on 'Page One' then no suprise I guess. Sadly, I only caught one set of it and I don't think he did an encore.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why he changed from it. I also saw it on TV without much lacquer (Zoot's was the same), but he could have had it relacquered.

Also, he used the crummy black plastic mouthpice that comes with the Selmer, yet produced that awesome sound. You'd think he would have gone for the Otto Link.

I wonder why he changed from it. I also saw it on TV without much lacquer (Zoot's was the same), but he could have had it relacquered.

Also, he used the crummy black plastic mouthpiece that comes with the Selmer, yet produced that awesome sound. You'd think he would have gone for the Otto Link.

Relaquering is asking for trouble...

And those crummy black mouthpieces are actually quite good if you get an older, short-shanked one & hollow out the chamber just so to free up the bottom end.

Joe played a 4*, slightly more open than the stock 3*. You don't get a buttload of volume with that, but you can get beaucoups tone, and if you learn the diaphragm control incumbent with a smaller tip opening, you can project just fine.

I used to play a wide-open metal Berg (120/0) until I found an old short-shanked C* in my closet about 10 years ago (had it since high school, had totally forgotten about it). Pulled it out on a whim, and have been on it ever since. No desire to go back to a loud, bright, metal ever again!

hell, Carmen Leggio played a stock tenor mouthpiece and he did ok -

the nice thing about the older stock pieces is that they lack, as far as I can tell, the extra baffle and assorted other tricks to make them play louder and faster - on alto lately I prefer my Steve Broadus 4. This is the best way to get the old-time warmth, I think. It makes you work a little harder, but it's good for you.

Edited by AllenLowe