Turducken

OK, this is the first time I've heard about this exercise in excess. A stuffed chicken is put in a duck which is put inside a turkey. :o Sort of the culinary version of those Russian nesting dolls. Why not put an egg inside a baby bird and put that inside the chicken, and then put the turkey inside an ostrich? And then eat it on a plane?

Plus, I'm a little leery of any food that has the letters T-U-R-D in its title. :blink:

OK, who's tried this? Fess up! :w

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from the home of the Tur-duc-hen and have eaten a few. The difficulty with this dish is that it must be overcooked to ensure doneness in all the layers, resulting either in dryness or the whole thing kind of falling apart. The key to a decent one are the 3 layers of contrasting stuffings. If they are well made and seasoned, the whole thing will taste pretty good.

BTW, as I recall, there was a pretty decent thread on this complete with photos at the old BNBB. Another gem lost for all time to our culture.

I think I'll just use "turducken" as a substitute for the popular rhyming expletive, and respell it- turduckin'.

"Hey Paul, you stayin' home for Thanksgiving?"

"Turduckin'-A I am!"

or

"Have you heard Rod Stewart's Standards Volume 2? It rocks!"

"Gimme a turduckin' break! That turduckin' turducker can't turduckin' sing!"

I bought a frozen turducken last year, and started the thread about it on Board Atlantis.

My question to you, Jim, is was there a point where this seemed like a good idea? :huh:

Yeah, man, from the git-go. I like turkey (once), love chicken, and virtually bust a nut over duck. Put'em all together w/some good moist stuffing, and what's NOT to like?

The turducken, apparently. Definitely less than the sum of its parts.

I remember this discussion from the ol' BN board last year. It was an amazing string of coincidences: I watched a piece about turduckens on the Food Channel only to have my wife bring home a frozen turducken from Costco that very night. And the next day Jim posted on the board about how he had just cooked one up and detested it. I must say, I agree: the parts are better than the whole. It's good in concept, but suffers in its execution...

I saw something about this culinary concoction in the NY Daily News yesterday. There was a turducken eating contest, featuring Ed'Cookie' Jarvis & Charles'Hungry' Hardy(Both of these guys are in the 4th of July hot dog eating contest at Nathan's in Coney Island every year, and both are over 300lbs.) The winner of the contest was a 130lb. woman! I forget how much she ate,but it was a good pile of that stuff!

• 3 years later...

Last year the subject came up, and I did a quick wiki-search and was astonished/fascinated/repulsed to read this part in the "origins and variations" part of the article:

The largest recorded nested bird roast is 17 birds, attributed to a royal feast in France in the 19th century: a bustergophechiduckneaealcockidgeoverwingailusharkolanbler (originally called a Rôti Sans Pareil, or "Roast without equal") - a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler. The final bird is small enough that it can be stuffed with a single olive; it also suggests that, unlike modern multi-bird roasts, there was no stuffing or other packing placed in between the birds. This dish probably could not be recreated in the modern era as many of the listed birds are now protected species.

Of course, it's Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt and all that...