John Coltrane - Side Steps 5-CD

Tjazz

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the thread, post 122 mentions this.

Thanks, but I'm still learning how to read.

"The Real McCoy" also plays fine for me. I happened to be listening to disc 5 when I read your post, but I was already into the last track. Since I'm reading a book and might not have noticed, I went back and listened to the whole track again and no skipping. Weird that its showing up in some discs and not others.

Speaking of the last disc, they really pack the music in: 79m, 58s.

Edited by Norm

as a backtrack to Fearless Leader, wasn't Philly Joe slated to be the drummer for most of Trane's leader dates? I thought I read somewhere Bob Weinstock and Jones had a rocky relationship so Art Taylor was selected as the drummer. Of course he was the house drummer for Prestige at the time so it makes sense.

"The Real McCoy" also plays fine for me. Weird that its showing up in some discs and not others.

Just as likely to be a difference between CD players - some are much more tolerant than others. I have several CD's that play OK on some players and don't on other players.

"The Real McCoy" also plays fine for me. Weird that its showing up in some discs and not others.

Just as likely to be a difference between CD players - some are much more tolerant than others. I have several CD's that play OK on some players and don't on other players.

I can't play any of the three Charles Tolliver Mosaic Select discs on my CD player at work (just spins and shuts down), but it works fine at home. Go figure. First time that's happened over the course of 16 years. (Yes, my Sony Car Discman still works.)

I'll have to crack open my Side Steps set and give disc 5 a try.

Did anyone who got theirs from bargainentertainment on Amazon get shafted on the shipping? I paid the 2.98x2 when I bought the boxes, but then got a note in the mailbox saying I had to pick them up at the Post Office for 5.98 because of insufficient shipping paid on the part of the sender. Weak, weak, weak.

Did anyone who got theirs from bargainentertainment on Amazon get shafted on the shipping? I paid the 2.98x2 when I bought the boxes, but then got a note in the mailbox saying I had to pick them up at the Post Office for 5.98 because of insufficient shipping paid on the part of the sender. Weak, weak, weak.

I recently bought Fearless Leader from bargainentertainment. It was delivered this week with no problem. Maybe your local post office was in a bad mood. Did you tip the carrier last year? :)

I bought it from bargainentertainment as well, but was only charged 2.98 for shipping (through Amazon). Never had that happen before (reverse shipping charges?); maybe you want to contact bargainentertainment to see what the story is.

Happening to be listening to disc 4 right now when I read your post, and am loving it.

Weak if it is intentional. Contact them and see if you get an apology and a reimbursement. If they do, human error which need to bear with each other on in this world!

No problem at all with mine. 2 day priority shipping, no postage due.

I guess I'm the only schmuck who has paid full price for all three boxes?

I just happened upon this thread now! I guess it evens out though - just snagged a longtime LP want off eBay, Arthur Jones' 'Scorpio' on BYG for $20.

Seriously though, these boxes are worth the full admission price. The sound is terrific, and the notes are excellent.

Yeah, the rest of us geniuses paid full price for the 16 CD set 20 twenty years ago and then full price again for the first two sets in this series before finally catching a break on Side Steps. So don't feel bad. And you're right, it's marvelous music!

Yeah, the rest of us geniuses paid full price for the 16 CD set 20 twenty years ago and then full price again for the first two sets in this series before finally catching a break on Side Steps. So don't feel bad. And you're right, it's marvelous music!

I would have gladly paid full price for the amount of joy I am getting out of this box. Plus its also re-opened my love affair with 50's Prestige titles. I have been getting into a other tiles by Ammons, Waldron and Rollins that I haven't played in a long time. I detoured into Miles via Blue Moods and Bags Groove and am now really getting into some Milt Jackson and Teddy Charles. Great stuff !

Edited by WorldB3

• 4 years later...