Chris Wiesendanger Quartet

king ubu

a big :tup

It's not exactly a new one, but I just found it cheap, grabbed it, and enjoy it very very much!

This record features Mark Turner, Ben Street and Nasheet Waits. Wiesendanger is a young swiss pianist, who became quite a mainstay of the post-bop/electric jazz scene here over the last few years (on this record he sticks to the piano).

His first disc for FSNT features all originals (except for After The Rain), and they are very good. Brooding, dark, gorgeous compositions. Clearly the guy has some concept. And Mark Turner fits in perfectly well.

AMG gives it four stars

AMG REVIEW: Swiss pianist Chris Wiesendanger couldn't have chosen more qualified American colleagues for this fine quartet record: Tenor saxophonist Mark Turner, bassist Ben Street, and drummer Nasheet Waits are all well known, and well acquainted, from their work in other groups. The concise program features six understated, harmonically challenging Wiesendanger originals and a short cover of John Coltrane's "After the Rain," all played with elegance and an engaging, unpredictable rapport. The dark-hued "Arriving Tomorrow" and the gloriously hushed, two-part "Shunyata" are among the many highlights.

— David R. Adler

Another nice thing is that the disc is less than 50 minutes long. No need to stand some 70+ minutes of concentrated listening, no real hangers.

Turner sounds great. Like a cross between Warne Marsh, Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson, if that makes sense. He may be one of the most individual stylists among younger tenor saxophonists.

Here you can find an AAJ Review of this album. I do not really see the Miles Quintet allusion, mainly not because Nasheet Waits' playing makes it quite clear that this is no old record.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Guest akanalog

i have mixed feelings about this album. it is very floaty and subtle-i was expecting something a little more lively with waits on drums based on what i had heard from him previously. but he is often playing more "washes" than solid beats. something else this album made me realize is that when a song is described as "ornette-ish" i will not like it. the third song on this album is described as such and i dislike it. i have also realized i do not really like mark turner's tone too much. it is a little flatly emotionless and wimpy sounding to me.

despite all i just said, this is a nice album. it does have a nice floaty ECM-ish? vibe and the final suite of shunyata>after the rain>shunyata is very beautiful. actually all the songs are very nice except for the aformentioned track 3, to my ears. i am sure other people will like this album more than me-i just need a little more oomph sometimes. wiesendanger seems to be a talented player and an even more talented composer.