Conan O'Brien is in hospital

B. Goren.

Yikes! Hope he's OK.

O'Brien issued a statement through NBC that indicated he was treating the incident lightly.

"Last thing I remember I was enjoying the play with Mrs. Lincoln, and the next thing I knew I was in bed being served cookies and juice" O'Brien said in the statement.

:lol: He must be feeling pretty well.

I liked Conan's previous show, I thought there were some funny bits. Now that he's become more "mainstreamed", I can see his sense of humor being "reigned in" quite a bit, and maybe he's allowing this to happen. I think this new gig is going to be tough for him & his fans.

That said, I caught the new Leno show last week. Still the Tonight show format, I'm not sure what the hell is going on at NBC. I liked Jay as a guest, never warmed up to him as a host.

Edited by Free For All

I liked Conan's previous show, I thought there were some funny bits. Now that he's become more "mainstreamed", I can see his sense of humor being "reigned in" quite a bit, and maybe he's allowing this to happen. I think this new gig is going to be tough for him & his fans.

I agree. The same thing happened to Letterman. I don't watch any of those guys these days.

I agree too - I think Conan was edgier and funnier in NYC. He's still got the same wacky sense of humor which I enjoy, but it's tamed a little in Cali. I wonder if it's the lifestyle there, versus the Big Apple (?). Or if it's NYC corporate thinking to mellow him out. I guess the earlier audience skews a little older, so maybe NBC wants him to try to pick up some of the older audience of Jay's that are still up.

I've watched a few minutes of Jay's show here and there, and am not impressed. He seems blander than ever to me.

I agree too - I think Conan was edgier and funnier in NYC. He's still got the same wacky sense of humor which I enjoy, but it's tamed a little in Cali. I wonder if it's the lifestyle there, versus the Big Apple (?).

It's the timeslot. And the show itself. Carson long ago put a middle-of-the-road, middle-American, slant on the Tonight Show. You're expected to appeal to everybody by offending nobody. With the changed landscape of television I'm not sure you can do that these days, but Conan's obviously giving it the old Brookline try.

And yes, the Leno 10 o'clock show seems pretty terrible.

I agree too - I think Conan was edgier and funnier in NYC. He's still got the same wacky sense of humor which I enjoy, but it's tamed a little in Cali. I wonder if it's the lifestyle there, versus the Big Apple (?).

It's the timeslot. And the show itself. Carson long ago put a middle-of-the-road, middle-American, slant on the Tonight Show. You're expected to appeal to everybody by offending nobody. With the changed landscape of television I'm not sure you can do that these days, but Conan's obviously giving it the old Brookline try.

Which is why Conan is a bad choice.

Jay Leno did a far better job with those expectations, IMHO.

Perhaps, but they had more-or-less promised Conan the Tonight Show gig years ago. They couldn't very well back out of the deal.

IMHO craig ferguson is the funniest guy on tv.

:cool:

Yes, but he's got a later timeslot and HAND PUPPETS!!!!

Perhaps, but they had more-or-less promised Conan the Tonight Show gig years ago. They couldn't very well back out of the deal.

Fair enough.

However, I predict they will live to regret it.

O'Brien discussed what happened and showed video last night - it was a nasty fall on the back of his head. If he were an athlete, he'd be held out of contact drills for a while, methinks.

There's video here on the NYT website but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere if you don't have an account.

Fair enough.

However, I predict they will live to regret it.

You and everyone else. NBC is regretting just about everything this year.

I like Craig Ferguson and Letterman (yeah, Letterman is getting older and loopier, but he still entertains me). Never really dug Leno. Liked Conan in the later timeslot and in NYC.

Saw video this morning of the head injury incident. Conan was doing some bit with Teri Hatcher; looked like they were running some kind of race. But they were both dripping wet as they ran into the studio, and Conan slipped on the stage, fell backward and smacked his head on the floor. He looked pretty out of it when he got up. Ouch!