MAJOR --crown-- discovery 9/22/09

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

immidiately after i saw this, i thought hmm....somethings not right about this cover....hmmm.....then i looked on the back cover (idendical to the front cover)....w/ the exception of on the back... RPM Recrods & Tapes 5810 S. Normandie Ave---

but now lets look at the songs

DA YA THINK IM SEXY? [thats how its spelled]

I WILL SURVIVE

TRAGEDY

HEART OF GLASS

STUMBLIN IN

LE FREAK

YMCA

GOT TO BE REAL

w/ performers incl. Jerry Walsh, Pia Muni, Betsy Mae, Susy Hall, Kip Weile [who are these people, LA studio musicans??]

OK FIRST OFF "HEART OF GLASS" from Parallel Lines, wasnt released until SEPTEMBER 1978, and wasn't released as a SINGLE until JAN. 1979. SO AS SIMPLE AS THAT, IT CAN BE POSTULATED THAT CROWN/MODERN/RPM/UNTIED/CORONA OR WHATEVER SUBSIDARARY YOU WANNA REFER TO, WAS IN OPERATION AS LATE AS ****1979*****, I ACTUALLY DID NOT KNOWN THEY SURVIVED THE 70s. BUT THIS GOES TO SHOW THEY DID. LET US ALL COMMENT AND DISCUSS NOW

record is RPM-602 STEREO

post-3075-1253660487_thumb.jpg

post-3075-1253660689_thumb.jpg

Edited by chewy

Call him.

Even better, prepare a list of good questions beforehand.

Such as, is it true that if sandwich meat is cut paper thin, it tastes better?

What kind of cheese does he prefer on his sammitch?

Is it as aggravating to him as it is to me when the sub shop loads up on the lettuce?

oh god, Jsngrys making me WORK! i would 1st start w/ asking about when the true LAST record was....obviously this 1979 manufacutured lp is in my pile right here by the computer. but what else? did they survive into the 80s?

i also would want to know if they still own the bldg or is their old crown printing stuff is still in it

i also want to know a lot about Crown and their operations, etc,

most of my Q's are operational? just how the hell did they move so much product? i mean come on-- did they record it right there at 5810 or did they have studios they used elsewhere or how was it all put together? how did they survive till 1979? is there some crown records re-record of "Thriller" that i don't even know about yet?

if i call im gonna ask him one main thing: when did they cease the complete operation. i wanna know an exact date. you guys dont understand ive been a crown collector since i was in diapers and i have ***NEVER*** seen anything like this. heart of glass by blondie was not released as a single until jan '79. i know of no other records like this from this era....

...oh im gonna ask him whats still at 5810 s. normandie or if they got rid of everything

You could ask him who they got to do their pressings or if they did them all themselves - a Bihari on each press :)

I read an interview with Leroy Hurte, who had one of the first indie labels in LA (Flash, 1939, then Bronze, 1944) and he said there was so much other business to take care of, he could only press 1,000 records a week, so eventually he had to employ someone to run his press.

I'd really be interested to know how many people the firm employed.

MG

1) the 1979 lp i found question: when was the LAST of the LAST....

2) what happened at 5810. was pressing done there? what about recording?

3) how many people did Crown employ?

4) do you still own the bldg?

what else: im not delving into the history of Modern records R&B i read about that i wanna want to unravel the sketchiness of crown, that is my goal

Right, the music is mostly a matter of record. You want to look at the actual business end of the label, and that is a very good idea, I think. Not exactly something that has been over-documented in the annals of music journalism.

I definitely/still say go for it. Take your time, get your shit totally together, think of what and how you would want to see it laid out if you were reading or hearing it, ask questions for which the answers will help to lay out & advance a story,and then see if you can get the call through.

I'd think it was definitely him, or a relative. If they don't want to talk to you, they won't. And if they do, they will. Only one way to find out.

My sentimental fave would be the Brubeck w/Perfume Counter & Angel Eyes by some off-brand quartet. That was the very first jazz record I ever bought.

Otherwise, I really like that Tribute to Woody Herman side w/Don Lanphere, Eddie Costa, John LaPorta, etc. That shit is just plain GOOD.