coffee

wesbed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else roast their own coffee?

We went the usual route of Grocery store coffe to coffee shop ground onsite to grind a week's worth at home to grinding daily....

Now we have a "Fresh Roast" home coffee roaster. I roast three day's worth of beans at a time. Grind seconds before brewing.

Once you try really fresh roasted coffee you will never be happy with anything else. We've learned that fresh roasted is amazing, 24 hours old is incrediable, 3 days old is better than anything you ever bought in a coffee store, 1 week old is good coffee store, 2 weeks old is good grocery store coffee after that its just like Folgers or Maxwell House.

Its also darn cheap. A good roaster is $50 and green beans are $3-$4.

Try HuehueTenango.

I roast three day's worth of beans at a time. Grind seconds before brewing.

Once you try really fresh roasted coffee you will never be happy with anything else. We've learned that fresh roasted is amazing, 24 hours old is incrediable, 3 days old is better than anything you ever bought in a coffee store, 1 week old is good coffee store, 2 weeks old is good grocery store coffee after that its just like Folgers or Maxwell House.

Shit man, you ain't tried nothin' 'til you import your own beans from Columbia. That's what is says on the customs papers - "coffee". Yeah, that's what it is. I stay awake for hours.

Shit man, you ain't tried nothin' 'til you import your own beans from Columbia. That's what is says on the customs papers - "coffee". Yeah, that's what it is. I stay awake for hours.

Go to http://www.CoffeeIsMyDrugOfChoice.com. When you've tried that super smooth home roasted made one cup at a time it will actually BE coffee in that container!

I don't have a home roaster, but Starbucks coffee is just horrible. May as well go to 7-11 and sip from the two-hour old Bunn pot. I've spent a lot of time in the mecca of coffee (Seattle) and quickly realized that while many are addicted to caffeine, good coffee is very hard to find there.

We've got a local shop that roasts the right way (hand chosen lots of beans, a Sivets air roaster, frozen storage for very short periods of time) and it is unbelievable how much better it is. In fact, our little shop received one of the highest rating any coffee roaster has ever received for one of his roasts...

All I can say, if you like Starsucks, then I have to think you've never had good coffee. Starbucks, Seattle's Best, etc are the Kenny Gs of coffee! Seriously!

All I can say, if you like Starsucks, then I have to think you've never had good coffee. Starbucks, Seattle's Best, etc are the Kenny Gs of coffee! Seriously!

well, that's your opinion. I'm sure I will be ignoring it tomorrow when I am picking up a grande from StarBUCKS!!!!

I don't have a home roaster, but Starbucks coffee is just horrible. May as well go to 7-11 and sip from the two-hour old Bunn pot. I've spent a lot of time in the mecca of coffee (Seattle) and quickly realized that while many are addicted to caffeine, good coffee is very hard to find there.

We've got a local shop that roasts the right way (hand chosen lots of beans, a Sivets air roaster, frozen storage for very short periods of time) and it is unbelievable how much better it is. In fact, our little shop received one of the highest rating any coffee roaster has ever received for one of his roasts...

Starbucks coffee tastes burned to me. I've heard other folks refer to them as Charbucks. "Serious" coffee drinkers where I work are always amazed by my home roast. I've turned two into home roasters as well.

If I had a local shop that roasted small batches I'd probably never started roasting my own. The "best" local roaster here roasts once a month! :wacko:

Edited by Upright Bill

Hey, not thinking Kenny G is great is just an opinion too :P

I've roasted my own beans in a popcorn popper, which worked pretty well. But my place is too small to deal with the smoke of home roasting, at least from what I have read about the home roaster units...

Luckily, the local shop roasts a few times per week.

When I have the need, I can and will drink any kind of coffee, but I know the good stuff...

I've roasted my own beans in a popcorn popper, which worked pretty well. But my place is too small to deal with the smoke of home roasting, at least from what I have read about the home roaster units...

I only make smoke when I screw up and burn it. Other than that my wife and I love the smell of the coffee roasting. I've never set off the smoke alarm.

Really? That's cool.. what kind of roaster do you use? I'd heard that I'd smoke myself out of my apartment-- but if that's not the case, it might be time to get myself a Christmas present...

I have the Fresh Roast. http://www.freshbeansinc.com/ If you order one do yourself a favor and order a second roasting chamber, that way you don't have to wait for it to cool before doing a second batch. Its usually cheaper here http://www.coffeeismydrugofchoice.com/freshroast.htm but they are out of stock.

Try the Guatemala Organic HueHueTenango Fair Trade "Shade Grown, Co-op" :D $4.25 a pound right now at http://www.coffeewholesalers.com/coffee_green.htm