coffee

wesbed

American restaurants don't seem to realize that it is critical to pour boiling water on tea. If the water is just merely hot, the taste is absolutely ruined. If you don't believe me, just try it yourself. Try tea made from boiling water; and tea made from hot water.

I know what you mean. I spent a week in NYC a couple of years back and experienced just that. A cup of tepid water with a tea bag dunked in.

Stuck to coffee after a couple of days.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Rose tea used to be very popular in Canada, however!

I like Ridgeway in Canada; also whatever Tim Horton's uses. :)

I don't believe there is a Tim Horton's in the southwest part of the USA (where I live). I had some coffee at a Tim Horton's in Columbus, Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to the clerk and advised him that Horton's coffee was far superior to the crap coffee sold by Krispy Kreme. He replied that Tim Horton's is more known for coffee.

The Tim Hortons' coffee, while not being as good as what I brew at home (home-brewed coffee can be brewed the way you like it, after all), was much better than the coffee I've had at most other restaurant-type places.

I don't believe there is a Tim Horton's in the southwest part of the USA (where I live). I had some coffee at a Tim Horton's in Columbus, Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to the clerk and advised him that Horton's coffee was far superior to the crap coffee sold by Krispy Kreme. He replied that Tim Horton's is more known for coffee.

The Tim Hortons' coffee, while not being as good as what I brew at home (home-brewed coffee can be brewed the way you like it, after all), was much better than the coffee I've had at most other restaurant-type places.

Tim Horton's is much more known for it's coffee than anything else. It's good coffee, but personally I find it rather weak. Better than gas station coffee, but not as good as Starbucks. About on the same level as Dunkin Donuts, as far as I'm concerned.

I have successfully kicked my coffee habit for 5 weeks back in the Spring of '99. I had bronchitis in February of that year and that was the impetus to keep me away from the java. As I got better my craving for the bean had not returned, and I decided to abate until one fateful evening. At work one Saturday night, I thought to myself "I'll NEVER get thru this evening without a cup o' joe" so I sauntered to the cafe, pumped out a cup, fixed it with milk and "sugar in the raw", took one sip and dumped that garbage out. The cafe there has the worst coffee ever. Next day, there I was back at Peet's for my daily fix, and I've been back on the bean ever since. The great thing about it was, I never went thru a withdrawl period of any kind, no headaches, never felt restless or tired. Life was good. I can drink it straight or with cream but for some strange reason last winter I went thru a cappuccino phase and only at Peets! I am thinking about getting a job part time there, just for the holiday season!

I've had Tim Horton's a few times, and don't understand the hype it gets. Perhaps it is slightly weak, as GregK suggests. There's a chain up here in Canada called "Second Cup" which brews some fine coffee. I still haven't tried a cup of Starbucks, although maybe I will the next time I'm in Chapters. Personally, I feel somewhat intimidated with the huge number of choices there are at some of these coffee shops. 7-11's latest coffee promotion is centered around making your own personal cup of coffee, combining various flavours, et cetera; they claim there's over 1300 possibilities. :blink:

I've had Tim Horton's a few times, and don't understand the hype it gets. Perhaps it is slightly weak, as GregK suggests. There's a chain up here in Canada called "Second Cup" which brews some fine coffee. I still haven't tried a cup of Starbucks, although maybe I will the next time I'm in Chapters. Personally, I feel somewhat intimidated with the huge number of choices there are at some of these coffee shops. 7-11's latest coffee promotion is centered around making your own personal cup of coffee, combining various flavours, et cetera; they claim there's over 1300 possibilities. :blink:

I like Second Cup when I am in Canada. Stronger than Tim Hortons, similar to Starbucks but maybe not quite that strong with a less distinct flavor. Didn't they serve that on Canadian Air flights before they were bought?

To the Israeli palate  - the best taste is the Italian-style coffe, with manufacturers such as Illy, Segafredo et al.

For that reason I took me a loooooong time for me to get used to the "soury" taste the espressos and capucinos at coffee places such as Starbucks et al.

I hate Starbucks. It tastes like burnt I-don't-know-what to me. The varietal qualities and differences that they describe among their varieties are virtually carbonized away...

I somehow drank Peets more aromatic but almost as charcoal-broiled coffee (I didn't know any better) when they just had a few places around Berkeley back in the '70s. Their Ethiopian was special. They've taken a real nosedive from that dubious quality level since then, especially during the past dozen years or so.

Now the only coffee that I drink are the rich, short espressos (Lavazza and the occasional Illy) that I make at home in my Saeco machine; Northern Italian coffee is where it's at for me. Zingerman's in Ann Arbor also makes decent, concentrated espresso if you ask for it (but with inferior beans).

Mostly a tea drinker myself, and mostly Stash green tea at that. Good stuff.

We seem to have more Beaners around Lansing than Starbucks. I've had some of their coffee, which doesn't taste much like coffee to me, with all the cream and mocha or vanilla or whatnot. I like it okay, but what do I know? Once a month is enough for me.

Best cup of coffee I've ever had was when Jim and I were driving back from our trip to Florida last month. He had decided to drive straight through, which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. Somewhere in Tennessee, I think, at a point where I was cold, tired, and cranky, we stopped at a gas station, where I grabbed a cup. Man, that was just what the doctor ordered. Warmed me up and cooled me out.

My wife likes to tease me about a mythical, homey place where good coffee is brewing, interesting books of all sorts are strewn about, and a plethora of superlative jazz CDs are casually stacked for listening. She calls it the Jazz Hut (I call it my study).

My favorite coffee comes from a place the Organissimo band may know about--Uncommon Grounds, in Saugatuck, Michigan. (In fact, I think you guys just played across the street from there a week or two ago.) There's something about organic, wood-smoked coffee that sends me to cloud nine... I've been "trying" to cut down to 6-7 cups a day, from my current 10-cup-pot habit. All other chemical vices have fallen by the wayside save this one, and I don't think it ever will.

Say, think I'll have some coffee!

I was lazy for a time and would buy one-half pound of beans and have the shop do the grinding. That one-half pound would last around ten days. Near the end it'd taste like crap. Heck, after a very few days it'd taste like crap.

I'm now usinng my Briel burr grinder and happily grinding beans every two or three days. It really is worth the extra effort.