coffee

wesbed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm. I can smell it all the way in Flagstaff. Yes, please. Black.

Nothing like a nice, hearty French Roast, or some Peet's House.

I could really go for an afternoon coffee 'ceremony' in Ethiopia right now. (You listening, Mr. Armstrong?)

Edited by BeBop

Seattle's Best is my favorite. But, checking in my freezer, I found only Starbuck's tonight.

I'm drinking Starbuck's, listening to Jack Teagarden (from the Bix, Trumbauer, Teagarden Mosaic), and playing on my computer. I suppose there are worse things to be doing on a Saturday night. B)

I've never finished a cup of coffee in my life either.

Owing to my British background, I'm a heavy tea drinker. I consume around 6 cups a day.

Never felt the need to get hooked on coffee.

I lived in England when my Dad was in the Air Force during the last three years of the 1970s. I was 14 years old when we returned to the United States in 1980. Ever since my time spent in England I must have milk in my hot tea.

Actually, coffee drinking was one of the hardest things for me to get used to while in DC. And I'm not talking 'bout that muddy fluid you call "American coffee", but rather the American espressos and Capucinos.

Israel is a haven for Espesso Bars, and the espresso and capucino culture is very wide spread. To the Israeli palate - the best taste is the Italian-style coffe, with manufacturers such as Illy, Segafredo et al.

For that reason I took me a loooooong time for me to get used to the "soury" taste the espressos and capucinos at coffee places such as Starbucks et al.

BTW, Starbucks, who succeeds in almost every place it opens a branch - was forceds to close all its branches in Israel less than 2 years after it openned them. Simply put - the Coffee was not to the liking of the Israelis.

i've never drank a full cup of coffee in my life.

hot coco is a different story...... :wub:

Pretty much the same for me, except that I've never even tried coffee. To this day, the smell makes me sick. I do enjoy hot cocoa, but only have it a few times a year. Watching my colleagues and people at my company in general (the Caribou Coffee in my office building has to be the busiest one in the country), I'm glad I don't have this need/habit. I see many people I know easily spending $75-100/mo or more on coffee.

Me, I'm just on a natural high... :rolleyes:

Yes coffee, when it's good it's fantastic, when it's mediocre or bad fahgedabahdit.

I remember real Ethiopian coffee fondly, though I couldn't drink it that way now, salty as it was. I'll pick up a bag of Ethiopian beans and really enjoy it from time to time however.

For the last few years, this is my daily joy, roasted here in Austin from beans from organic Mexican farmers:

rutamaya.jpg

It's fantastic coffee!

Seattle's Best is my favorite. But, checking in my freezer, I found only Starbuck's tonight.

I'm drinking Starbuck's, listening to Jack Teagarden (from the Bix, Trumbauer, Teagarden Mosaic), and playing on my computer. I suppose there are worse things to be doing on a Saturday night. B)

The perfect saturday night. Nothing better than some Starbucks (or even Borders coffee) and some good music playing. I simply don't understand these people who like Starbucks. I'm blessed to have a Starbucks that just opened 5 min away from work too!!

I used to be a heavy tea drinker, any blend, black green, Darjeeling, Jasmine, Sencha, you name it - but then I developped a kind of disgust, and my body and nerves started reacting very sensitively - I had up to 2 litres every day.

Now I have one or two cups of coffee a day, Italian style, sometimes more - usually my breakfast is two cups Italian Capuccino. I have a nice little Saeco machine and my friends revel about the coffee I serve them. My favourite brand is:

nyxg.jpg

This is made partly out of the world's best coffee, Jamaican Blue Mountain - there's nothing like it. (More info)

My second choice is Caffe del Doge

logo.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

I've never finished a cup of coffee in my life either. 

Owing to my British background, I'm a heavy tea drinker.  I consume around 6 cups a day. 

Never felt the need to get hooked on coffee.

I lived in England when my Dad was in the Air Force during the last three years of the 1970s. I was 14 years old when we returned to the United States in 1980. Ever since my time spent in England I must have milk in my hot tea.

Milk in tea is a MUST!!

In Jamaica we didn't have fresh milk available all the time (didn't last long in the heat and slowness of donkey transport) so we used evaporated milk.

To this day I still use evaporated milk in my tea.

Don't know how unhealthy that might be for me. Might be killing me for all I know.

Owing to my British background, I'm a heavy tea drinker.  I consume around 6 cups a day.

Only six cups!

You lily-livered colonial.

I bet you don't warm the pot either!

Well...I mean 6+ mugs. My mother berates me for not using bone china cups, but they're too small for me.

Damn right, I heat the pot...

Which brings up another point for us tea drinkers here. American restaurants don't seem to realize that it is critical to pour boiling water on tea. If the water is just merely hot, the taste is absolutely ruined. If you don't believe me, just try it yourself. Try tea made from boiling water; and tea made from hot water.

In a restaurant here you get this little metal pouring receptical with warm water and your teabag is at the side of the cup.

My response: I simply don't order tea at restaurants.

Now when I cross the border up to Canada, the whole situation changes. They understand tea up there.

Now when I cross the border up to Canada, the whole situation changes. They understand tea up there.

I was just going to make this point. Being orignally from Canada, I am a little more familar with tea than a lot of Americans, but I never became a tea drinker. Strictly coffee for me. Red Rose tea used to be very popular in Canada, however!

Living in Portland, there are many coffee addicts. In fact, the pianist Darrell Grant did an album called "Smokin' Java" after he moved here and got addicted to the bean. I too am a coffee addict. But not black coffee, gotta have a sweetener/cream/anything to dilute it... Now I am out of cream, and realizing that the headache that I'm getting has everything to do with B.S.'n online about coffee, and not having any in front of me. So, off to the corner store for creamer. ;):eye:

Say, I think it's relevant to mention coffe-making methods as well, because like with tea, the method defines the taste in many ways. (Totally agree about pouring boiling water through tea!)

I use a single cup (at first a method I borrowed from my grandmother because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house as she was, but then from preferrance for the taste) drip filter method such as these, generaly using Melita brown filters (#2).

coffeemaker-c.jpg

And I use Brita filtered water. And half and half.

Hmmm. . . may have to make a cup!

I make my coffee the same way, Lon. (Didn't know that those drip filters came in different colors though! Imagine the pink one ... eventually with indelible streaked brown coffee stains ... not a pretty image.)

Though I love the smell and taste, I actually have an allergy to the stuff. Not to the caffeine, strangely, but to the coffee bean oil. I used to drink cold water extract coffee, which removes a large portion of the oil, but it didn't taste the same. As a result, I can only consume about 4-6 ounces a day, lest my stomach and intestines play their version of Ascension.

My current favorite is green tea. While traditional is fine, I prefer Celestial Seasonings' Antioxidant green tea with rose hips. Also dig chai, but that's another thread.

doubleM — Have you tried Coffee Time? Their homemade chai is something that one writes their mother home about.

Edited by Late