early to mid-1960s Wynton Kelly?

Norm

I'm relatively new to the world of jazz and very new to this forum, but after asking about Sonny Rollins it has become crystal clear that there is a vast resevoir of knowledge here so I'd like to tap it one more time. Lots of good such suggestions and a great discussion there.

Wynton Kelly's work with Miles Davis in the late 50s was the first to reel me in. Since then, I've picked up Wes Montgomery Smokin' at the Half Note and Wes Montgomery Full House, choosing them primarily because of Wynton's presence more than Wes.' I absolutely love each of these recordings. I can't get enough of them. It appears that the former was recorded in 1965 and the latter in 1962.

If any folks are familiar with these, I'm wondering if there are any other really good albums that feature Wynton's playing from this era (early to mid 1960s), even if they not listed under his name (just as these two are not).

Norm

Hi Norm,

Check out his credits page at AMG.

Off the top of my head, from that era, Wynton is a great contributor to Hank Mobley's Soul Station and Roll Call and Workout. If you enjoyed Wes' guitar, you might seek out Bags Meets Wes (Milt Jackson on vibes).

An all-time favorite Wynton Kelly sideman appearance is on Dizzy Reece's Star Bright - Hank Mobley is also on it, though its slightly before your early 60s time frame.

When I started exploring jazz, Wynton Kelly quickly became a "seal of approval" for anything I found that I wasn't sure about. If he was on it, there had to be some good hard boppin' in the grooves.

For many years, the mere presence of Wynton Kelly on a session was enough of a reason for me to buy it. Needless to say, this resulted in many purchases.

Wynton was probably at his best in the Davis rhythm section with Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. IMHO they never sounded better than on Davis's At the Blackhawk albums. I also like them backing Art Pepper on his Together Again.

Hi Norm,

Check out his credits page at AMG.

Off the top of my head, from that era, Wynton is a great contributor to Hank Mobley's Soul Station and Roll Call and Workout. If you enjoyed Wes' guitar, you might seek out Bags Meets Wes (Milt Jackson on vibes).

An all-time favorite Wynton Kelly sideman appearance is on Dizzy Reece's Star Bright - Hank Mobley is also on it, though its slightly before your early 60s time frame.

When I started exploring jazz, Wynton Kelly quickly became a "seal of approval" for anything I found that I wasn't sure about. If he was on it, there had to be some good hard boppin' in the grooves.

The AMG page is a great resource. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Incidentally, I just received Roll Call in the mail yesterday. Now I can't wait to listen to it. (I already have Soul Station and Workout...no wonder I love those two so much). I'll have to check out Star Bright. I had never heard of it. Thanks.

Miles Live at the Blackhawk!

If you're not already familiar with this one, it's some of my favorite WK (and Mobley, Cobb & Chambers)

Yes, I picked up The Complete Blackhawk set (4 discs) a few months ago and have put them in from time to time and marvelled at certain passages of piano-playing (especially on the longer tracks where he's given space to really get into it), but I never put two and two together or looked at the liner notes, and thus was unaware that it was Kelly. Now it makes perfect sense.

h99424gll2n.jpg

Wynton Kelly Trio: Live at Left Bank 1967 (with Hank Mobley, no less)

:tup:tup:tup

Plenty of time for Wynton to solo (two discs), look at these track lengths....

1 On a Clear Day 15:21

2 Hackensack 15:11

3 On Green Dolphin Street 15:11

4 Milestones 15:46

5 If You Could See Me Now 11:46

6 Speak Low 16:10

I almost like these recordings (with Hank) even more than the two discs of live Wynton Kelly Trio with Joe Henderson that Verve released. And that's really saying something, since I'm such a huge fan of Joe.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll have to check out Star Bright. I had never heard of it. Thanks.

Great record, but it might be hard to find, expensive, or both.

Check out the Dizzy Reece Mosaic Select -- "Star Bright" is included, and although that is the only session with Wynton Kelly, the others (especially "Blues In Trinity") are well worth the investment.

Oh, and welcome to the Board! :)

Four great records not mentioned yet:

Wynton's "Kelly at Midnight" (Vee Jay), trio wtih Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones -- the track "Temperance" is so swinging it's ridiculous.

Blue Mitchell's "Blue' Moods" (Riverside). Quartet with Wynton, Sam Jones, Roy Brooks -- more for the trumpeter (his best record to my ears) and Jones (the bass is really well recorded here and he plays great).

Sonny Rollins' "Newk's Time" (Blue Note), quartet with Wynton, Doug Watkins, Philly Joe -- really superb Wynton, especially on "Tune Up" and "Blues for Philly Joe." There's one spot on "Tune Up" where he plays this 4th-based pattern that almost sounds like the music suddenly skips ahead 10 years to vintage '60s McCoy Tyner. He also plays an exceptionally ebullient solo on "Blues for Philly Joe," which, by the way, includes one of my favorite Sonny solos -- a textbook of thematic variation. Not as iconic as "Blue Seven" but a lot more fun.

John Coltrane's "Coltrane Jazz" (Atlanatic), quartet with Wynton, Chambers, Jimmy Cobb -- one of the lesser celebrated Coltrane Atlantics, with fantastic piano accompaniment ("Little Old Lady"!) and great solos too.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 2 weeks later...

Wynton's "Kelly at Midnight" (Vee Jay), trio wtih Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones -- the track "Temperance" is so swinging it's ridiculous.

I just found a brand new copy of Kelly at Midnight through Amazon Marketplace for $3 (plus $3 shipping) and ordered it right away. It seemed to have been mispriced, but I ordered and asked questions later (next cheapest was over $10)

By the way, thanks all for your your Kelly recommendations. As noted, I've been just hooked on him and Red Garland lately -- just picked up Soul Junction and Red Garland Revisited!. But I'll soon put in another order with Concord which will include some of the titles mentioned here (definately the Cannonball Quartet Quintet Plus and Blue's Moods). That Wynton Kelly Trio Live at Left Bank looks like it would be great, if a little more difficult to come across on CD.

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet mentioned;

Originally on Luxor LP-1 and later on reissued by FreshSound

A long title (or a lot of subtitles) :rolleyes:

A Tribute to Dinah Washington, The Wynton Kelly Trio Introduces Donna Drake, Donna Sings Dinah (songs made famous by Dinah Washington).

Recorded in 1968 with Keeter Betts (bass) and Jimmy Cobb (drums).

Enjoyable backings by the trio, short solos from Kelly.

Don't know what became of the singer, she isn't that special but the linernotes state that she sang with the likes of Donald Byrd, Paul Chambers, Barry Harris, Kenny Burrell and even Charlie Parker.

j.

my Q is re: mid/late 60s: did wynton kelly "sell out"? i swear i have this lp on Verve, in fact i think TWO of em: all the tunes are very short and all the covers are very snazzy

Wynton made five albums for Verve. The first two, "Comin' in the back door" and "It's all right" are the ones you're thinking of. There's not much in them, really, though the latter has a moment or two with steel drums. The last two - "Smoking at the Half Note" and "Willow weep for me" were both drawn from his 1965 live session with Wes, though the second has strings overdubbed. (I think there's an undubbed version of this somewhere.)

In the middle, there's one called "Undiluted" which I heard once but haven't got. I saw it was scheduled to be reissued two or three years ago, but it never came out, to my knowledge. Now, from what I remember from hearing it over 40 years ago, THAT was a truly ACE session. With Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb (Ray Stevenson on flute on one cut).

And then he did "Full view" for Milestone, in 1966, another straight ahead trio session, with Cobb & ROn McClure. I like this one very much indeed.

So I don't think he sold out so much as got temporarily caught up in Creed Taylor's wish to make smooth jazz records that hit the charts.

MG