Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

The Pearson and Amy Selects arrived today - glad I got them, very good music.

Enjoy ! :tup Certainly glad I got the Pearson, that one holds together as a coherent set very well.

As usual, I started to pull the duplicates from my shelves - I always sell them as space is limited - and almost fainted when I found out that I had sold the Pearson vinyl years ago! The one Rare Groove CD was all that's still there ... Imagine that set had sold out as well before I got it!

I'm really glad some good spirit made me keep the two Johnny Richards Roulette LPs ...

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of customs: This time I had to pick them up at the customs office at the other end of town, and bring an invoice (they accepted Mosaic's e-mail). I paid € 11,85 import tax for a value of $ 100 (€ 62,36) for the two sets. No customs fee - they didn't claim those € 2,18 as they were below their limit.

The Mosaic website has been updated to provide projected arrival dates for the boxes that have been on back order. The Johnny Smith, Jazz Crusaders and Lester Young sets are now expected back in stock by mid to late October. The Benedetti Parker not until 2010. Everything else in November. Unless you've had your eye on just the Parker set, this is good news.

Up over and out.

The Mosaic website has been updated to provide projected arrival dates for the boxes that have been on back order. The Johnny Smith, Jazz Crusaders and Lester Young sets are now expected back in stock by mid to late October. The Benedetti Parker not until 2010. Everything else in November. Unless you've had your eye on just the Parker set, this is good news.

Up over and out.

I was planning to buy the Cohn, Newman and Green Select, but now find it's on back order and expected in 2010.

Edited by BillF

Up over and out.

This is not good news.

I don't see the same info. I want to get the Hutcherson, and they are saying not until 2010.

This is looking very bad for them - they are losing tons of business.

Bertrand.

I do not know a thing about running a record company, and maybe Chuck would know the answer to this, but would not Mosaic have insurance to cover all the lost tapes and the lost business?

Guest Bixieland

If the H.R.S. box is still available in two weeks, I will order a copy ...

I think that would be wise.

This is looking very bad for them - they are losing tons of business.

I don't know, Bertrand. As long as they recoup any loss -- the time/effort/materials put in, etc. By itself, moving inventory, isn't a bad thong. I would think.

Now that I have the Gerald Wilson, Carmell Jones, and Curtis Amy Mosaics and the Lou Blackburn Imperial on a Blue Note CD reissue all together, I realize what a great job Cuscuna did in documenting this too little known side of California hard bop - the Onzy Matthews Select and the recent Lou Rawls twofer CD on capitol with Mathews arrangements also belong here - I will get me the latter two before it's too late.

Sad thing is, once these are all sold out, this music may be unavailable for a long time, as most of the other music he reissued ... God bless Mosaic and Cuscuna.

Edited by mikeweil

Poor Duke Pearson, he doesn't get any respect. . . . (I really like his Select).

I, for one, love Duke Pearson.

I so nearly didn't get the Pearson but finally relented, it's really excellent material , actually quite varied in style. The Phantom is killer BN classic IMO. It really is a most unexpected pleasure and has been played through several times since it arrived a week ago.

Poor Duke Pearson, he doesn't get any respect. . . . (I really like his Select).

I, for one, love Duke Pearson.

I so nearly didn't get the Pearson but finally relented, it's really excellent material , actually quite varied in style. The Phantom is killer BN classic IMO. It really is a most unexpected pleasure and has been played through several times since it arrived a week ago.

Now that I have the Gerald Wilson, Carmell Jones, and Curtis Amy Mosaics and the Lou Blackburn Imperial on a Blue Note CD reissue all together, I realize what a great job Cuscuna did in documenting this too little known side of California hard bop - the Onzy Matthews Select and the recent Lou Rawls twofer CD on capitol with Mathews arrangements also belong here - I will get me the latter two before it's too late.

There was also the wonderful West Coast Classics series that he did through Blue Note in the late 1990s. I think it ended after only a dozen titles (didn't do very well sales-wise, as I recall), but it was a fantastic set of reissues.

There was also the wonderful West Coast Classics series that he did through Blue Note in the late 1990s. I think it ended after only a dozen titles (didn't do very well sales-wise, as I recall), but it was a fantastic set of reissues.

Yep, that was an excellent series. Maybe you can do a show about it :)