Glen Campbell - Guess I'm Dumb

JSngry

I've always liked Glen Campbell, not the least bit ashamed to admit it (not everything, of course... never cared much for Rhinestone Cowboy, for example). I'll still listen to his 60's hits when the mood strikes. And yes, he's a fine guitar player. Anyway, never heard this song before. I knew about the Beach Boys connection, but then I was never a huge BB fan (my oldest brother was fan enough for the whole family).

I'm not sure I ever gave Shindig enough of a chance. Maybe I didn't have the opportunity. I know I watched it sometimes, but for some reason it wasn't a regular thing at our house... back in the days when most families had 1 (yes, I said ONE) tv. Maybe there was something else on that conflicted with it.

Edited by Jim R

Not having actively pursued Wilson arcania for, oh...30 or so years now, this is the first time I've har thisone.

Glen Campbell has one helluva voice, ya' know?

This is almost like a missing track from "Pet Sounds." There used to be an album called "The Brian Wilson Productions" that included this, the Honeys tracks, "Pamela Jean" and other non-BB Brian Wilson stuff. Not sure if it's made it to CD.

Not having actively pursued Wilson arcania for, oh...30 or so years now, this is the first time I've har thisone.

Glen Campbell has one helluva voice, ya' know?

This is almost like a missing track from "Pet Sounds." There used to be an album called "The Brian Wilson Productions" that included this, the Honeys tracks, "Pamela Jean" and other non-BB Brian Wilson stuff. Not sure if it's made it to CD.

"Pet Projects - The Brian Wilson Productions" ACE 851 is on CD

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?pa...amp;release=793

Essential for any Brian Wilson fan. I also love "Guess I'm Dumb". Certainly a treat to see Campbell performing it!

I didn't like Glen Campbell at all back in the day. But then I heard one of his songs on the radio again about 10 years ago and realized that wanted to hear more of him. I bought a greatest hits CD (my first Glen Campbell purchase ever) and have really enjoyed it ever since. Some of his songs stand the test of time very well, much better than I would have ever thought at the time that they were released.

I This song is definitely one of the highlights of the anthology Stereo Jack mentions above: "Pet Projects - The Brian Wilson Productions" ACE 851. Highly recommended to the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys obsessives out there.

My favorites on that disc, though, are by The Honeys. But those tracks must surely be available elsewhere as well.

Yeah, that voice of his is a truly grand instrument...I just worked my way through a big bunch of his Capitol albums in search of some "lost gems" at the level of the Webb things...found a few good 'uns, but none at that level (and considering the time and the place, that is a colossal waste, imo, this guy could've routinely gone places musically that few pop singers could have, but...oh well...thank god for the Jimmy Webb of that time and place), but the one thing that jumped out from even the dreckiest dreck was that voice...crystal clear, true of pitch, and, not unlike Wilson's own, "white" in the positive sense of not trying to be something it's not but not numbing itself either.

Yeah, that voice of his is a truly grand instrument...I just worked my way through a big bunch of his Capitol albums in search of some "lost gems" at the level of the Webb things...found a few good 'uns, but none at that level (and considering the time and the place, that is a colossal waste, imo, this guy could've routinely gone places musically that few pop singers could have, but...oh well...thank god for the Jimmy Webb of that time and place), but the one thing that jumped out from even the dreckiest dreck was that voice...crystal clear, true of pitch, and, not unlike Wilson's own, "white" in the positive sense of not trying to be something it's not but not numbing itself either.

You could always listen to Jimmy Webb. Start with Land's End and the astonishing Orbison without a voice production Just This One Time. He got what he needed out of his pipes.