• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There already is one. More than one.

Don't be a hater.

Ok, how 'bout a Neil Young thread?

A little Homegrown anyone?

There's one of those too, though it's relatively small. Hmm, rather than the link I tried to provide my clipboard held onto a pumpkin orzo recipe instead, so you can search on your own. :) If you search by thread title you'll find most old rockers, and even some more modern ones have threads or "corners" on the board. There are Neil threads about the recent Archive project too and a few of his individual albums.

I just listened to the sound samples and I would have to say that without exception, it's pretty horrible. I couldn't even remotely enjoy this from a novelty point of view. I can't put it much better than my daughter who was listening in the background, "What are you listening to?!? He sounds icky."

Edited by mikelz777

Well, I think several of you are not giving this a chance. I like it. His voice is as it's been for years and he makes the most of it. The arrangements are very 'fifties in a lot of ways and very well-executed. I don't listen to things by short snippets and make judgments, I didn't listen to any samples, I just ordered it and I'm glad I did.

I usually hate Xmas albums but this one is fun.

I still say them horses on the cover get it the way it's meant to be got.

And I still say he's taking the p**s out of his fans.

Not for the first time.

I think them horses is saying exactly that.

At least the one on the left is. But there are two...

And then there's the man and the woman. I think they're digging it at face value.

So really, the cover tells you everything, which is that this one is whatever you want/need it to be out of a Dylan album.

Not for the first time. :g

I agree wholeheartedly with Lon. I got this earlier this week, and I think it's a hoot n' a holler!

I LIKE the arrangements. There's a Western Swing feel to the whole thing. And Bob is clearly having FUN singing these silly, cheesy Christmas songs. Hey, every OTHER major singer gets to do a schmaltzy Christmas album. Why not Bob?

I don't think he's "taking the piss" out of anybody. Which is not to say that I don't think that Bob's tongue is not firmly in his cheek.

I believe he's recording his version of the St. Matthew Passion for Easter.

Well it could be intended as a fun release or it could be Dylan again growing weary of someone praising his every burp. I'm far more amazed that people are listening to Xmas records in mid-October. Even the shops haven't started bombarding us with Slade and Wizzard yet. Come November 1st.....

Save this for November 25th (the official day on which Xmas music is allowed to be broken out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zt6Ot8WLHw...feature=related

Alternatively, continue to live in Paradise and just make sure you never visit Britain in November or December.

Now that's a funny Christmas song! Roy Wood!!!!!!!!

Yes, it was in 197? when it came out - I like the cash register at the start!

But it has suffered from mind-numbing over-exposure over here. For two months if you step into a shop, shopping centre, supermarket, pub or any public place you are hit over the head with it. However, I'm being grumpy. The kids I teach love it and see it as essential to the Xmas spirit as plastic antlers and Santa hats.

Maybe they'll love Dylan's Xmas treat as much in the near future. I've got visions of him dressed as Santa in a grotto giving out toys to terrified little girls and boys.

Oh, Bobby, can this really be the end, to be stuck inside of Yuletide with the Rudolph blues again.

I'm far more amazed that people are listening to Xmas records in mid-October.

I'm only listening to this now as it just came out and arrived. I listened to it once just to hear it. I listened to it two more times because I ENJOY it. I guess it's easy to make fun of it, but I think it's quite a nice "record."