Dylan Christmas Album

Dave James

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dylan knows how he sounds now, and I also think he genuinely likes the material, although why he likes it might not be the same reaons that most people who like it like it. But then again, who knows?

I also also think that Dylan is one of the driest, wryest performers in the history of the world, so maybe for him, doing material that he like the way he sounds now provides him with a conceptual chuckle or two. Not scornful or condescending or anything, just one of those things you laugh at...just because.

Again, look at this cover and tell me you don't see at least some wry and dry... http://www.yenra.com/wiki/images/Bob-dylan...stmas-album.jpg

I have a select few Christmas albums that I LOVE and that I listen to every year (some I even listen to year round). The Sinatra Christmas album is one. Dust-to-Digital's brilliant "Where Will You Be Christmas Day" is another. Nat King Cole. Kenny Burrell. Ray Charles.

I LIKE what Bob is doing here. I LIKE the fact that he's doing the whole '50s overproduction thing. I think that it manages to be ironic and funny, yet dead serious at the same time. Only Bob could pull something like this off. Well, Tom Waits could do it too...

Expensive, time-consuming joke. And not all that funny.

Are you saying that Dylan is playing a joke on the rest of us?

No idea. With his fame he can record virtually anything - 'Aida', the theme from 'The Snowman' etc - and someone will commend it for its brilliance and irony.

I like Xmas records - buy a couple each year. But I think I'll go for the Carla Bley if it appears.

• 3 weeks later...

Anbody seen this video of Dylan doing Hava Nagila on an ultra-orthodox Jewish telethon (I kid you not). Perhaps the single worst harmonica performance of all time!

http://www.livevideo.com/video/MikeNobody/...ava-negila.aspx

If this is a song of celebration, the only thing I can think of to celebrate is that I have a pause button on my computer. Who knew Harry Dean Stanton was so talented?

Up over and out.

Anbody seen this video of Dylan doing Hava Nagila on an ultra-orthodox Jewish telethon (I kid you not). Perhaps the single worst harmonica performance of all time!

What a hoot! Thanks for posting. I loved it, of course. Hava Negeilah is nothing but a folk song, and Bob's pretty familiar with that genre. He recorded a pretty funny version of it on 4/25/62; it's available on his first Bootleg Series box. Anyway, if you want to hear him play out of tune harmonica, listen to his accompanying Nancy Griffith on "Boots of Spanish Leather" from "Other Voices, Other Rooms."

On another one of these Lubavitch telethons, they played a taped performance of Bob with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, doing a song I've never heard otherwise. I think its name was "Thank God." I used to have it on a Betamax tape. It was actually a very nice song. I still remember the refrain; it was something like "You can ask him for favors, he'll meet you at the door, but be sure to count your blessings before you ask for more." I'd love to hear it again.

What a hoot! Thanks for posting. I loved it, of course. Hava Negeilah is nothing but a folk song, and Bob's pretty familiar with that genre. He recorded a pretty funny version of it on 4/25/62; it's available on his first Bootleg Series box. Anyway, if you want to hear him play out of tune harmonica, listen to his accompanying Nancy Griffith on "Boots of Spanish Leather" from "Other Voices, Other Rooms."

On another one of these Lubavitch telethons, they played a taped performance of Bob with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, doing a song I've never heard otherwise. I think its name was "Thank God." I used to have it on a Betamax tape. It was actually a very nice song. I still remember the refrain; it was something like "You can ask him for favors, he'll meet you at the door, but be sure to count your blessings before you ask for more." I'd love to hear it again.

You mean his performance with Nancy Griffith is worse? Ohhh myyyyy Goooodddd! I'll have to look for the Tom Petty number. That must be surreal!

• 2 weeks later...