The amount of jazz performers that appeared on the Tonight Show.

Hardbopjazz

I know we discussed this in the past. Recently I've been going to the "Paley Center for Media" in NYC and watching some old jazz TV programs. Johnny Carson seemed to always have jazz guests. Too bad his two predecessors haven't followed his his path. I wonder how much of the jazz guests were Carson's own requests, or were the Tonight Show's producers jazz fans as well?

The museum doesn't have every show because I do recall some shows with artists that I haven't come across in the archives.

Well, you probably knew that Johnny was a big jazz fan (and played the drums) so I think he was probably the main instigator in booking jazz musicians.

I've long wished they would put out a DVD set of the band and guests over the years. There were many great players who appeared, and often Johnny would feature just the band. Also, some of the interviews were hilarious- Buddy Rich always shook things up a bit.

I really, REALLY miss that show.

I know we discussed this in the past. Recently I've been going to the "Paley Center for Media" in NYC and watching some old jazz TV programs. Johnny Carson seemed to always have jazz guests. Too bad his two predecessors haven't followed his his path. I wonder how much of the jazz guests were Carson's own requests, or were the Tonight Show's producers jazz fans as well?

The museum doesn't have every show because I do recall some shows with artists that I haven't come across in the archives.

But I thought at least one of his predecessors, Steve Allen, had lots of jazz guests. Do you mean his two followers? yeah, they are too much into rock and not into exploring anything else.

But I thought at least one of his predecessors, Steve Allen, had lots of jazz guests. Do you mean his two followers? yeah, they are too much into rock and not into exploring anything else.

I'm pretty sure he meant to type "successors"---and in that he's quite right. Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien are rock guys, which is hardly surprising considering the generations they come from. When Carson, OTOH, was growing up it was not at all unusual to be at least a little bit of a jazz fan. But Carson also had (thank God) an unusual interest in music, for a comedian. He was even an amateur drummer, which may explain why he had Buddy Rich on about a billion times.

Branford Marsalis tried featuring players leading up to and coming back from commercials, but Leno's manager killed that.

Is that the same as Museum of Television and Radio in NY? B/c they have a hell of an archive of jazz. You have to know how to search, though.

My slip.

Branford Marsalis tried featuring players leading up to and coming back from commercials, but Leno's manager killed that.

Is that the same as Museum of Television and Radio in NY? B/c they have a hell of an archive of jazz. You have to know how to search, though.

Yes that's the place. Jazz on TV almost every week up to the mid 70s. Sad that this is no longer the norm.

Of course Johnny had a lot to do with it. He was a jazz fan.

Just listening to the Tonight band was wonderful. (Conte Candoli, Pete Christlieb and

so many others).

Yeah Johnny sure loved it. Here is a nice clip :)

Unbelievably great

Nothing like that anymore.

Denis

Not to get off topic, but it is my understanding that the first several years of the Johnny Carson show - up to about 1970 or 71 - were bulk erased at some point, and that Carson went through the roof. Everything from that point on was allegedly saved.

I've never been clear, though, on the percentage of Steve Allen- or Jack Parr-era shows that have survived. IIRC, Ernie Kovacs even hosted the show briefly when the slot was vacant at some point. Info on this?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Well, you probably knew that Johnny was a big jazz fan (and played the drums) so I think he was probably the main instigator in booking jazz musicians.

I've long wished they would put out a DVD set of the band and guests over the years. There were many great players who appeared, and often Johnny would feature just the band. Also, some of the interviews were hilarious- Buddy Rich always shook things up a bit.

As TTK just mentioned, a ton of the shows got either destroyed or taped over, so lots of that stuff is just gone.

I've also heard that the folks in charge of the remaining tapes have no interest is paying the band any royalties. On those "Best of Carson" DVD sets you see being offered on the infomercials, they don't use the band and original theme song, and they edit out anything that includes the band (bits. guest musicians, feature numbers).

Just listening to the Tonight band was wonderful. (Conte Candoli, Pete Christlieb and

so many others).

Unbelievably great

Denis

Nice clip! But who's that on piano? (Listed as Lou Levy, but looks like Pete Jolly to me.) No idea who the bassist is.

As TTK just mentioned, a ton of the shows got either destroyed or taped over, so lots of that stuff is just gone.

I've also heard that the folks in charge of the remaining tapes have no interest is paying the band any royalties. On those "Best of Carson" DVD sets you see being offered on the infomercials, they don't use the band and original theme song, and they edit out anything that includes the band (bits. guest musicians, feature numbers).

That really sucks.

so many others).

Unbelievably great

Denis

Nice clip! But who's that on piano? (Listed as Lou Levy, but looks like Pete Jolly to me.) No idea who the bassist is.

Nice clip indeed! I think it's Pete Jolly & Bob Magnusson.

so many others).

Unbelievably great

Denis

Nice clip indeed! I think it's Pete Jolly & Bob Magnusson.

Really enjoyed that one. Getz and the band were cooking. Thanks for sharing that clip.

To me, that would be like editing out Johnny Carson from the show. The band was such a HUGE part of that show, and must have provided a gateway into jazz for a number of the younger viewers. Thanks for sharing.

so many others).

Unbelievably great

Denis

Nice clip indeed, but a couple of things strike me as odd here. Did anybody notice that Carrington herself was the person who provided the video? I find it a little strange that no credit was given to Jolly or Magnusson, and that Levy's name is listed in the tags. Levy spent a lot of time with Getz of course, but...

Even if someone else uploaded and tagged this for her, this (and in a way, the "Terri Lyne Carrington with Stan Getz" title) just strikes me as somewhat less than respectful. Apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding anything.

My slip.

Yes that's the place. Jazz on TV almost every week up to the mid 70s. Sad that this is no longer the norm.

They have two sites: NY and LA. If the LA is as good as NY I couldn't recommend either more highly.