Help for a newbie!

JessD

This is my first post. I apolgize to everyone who loves and KNOWS jazz. I enjoy lots, but am not familiar with the style of various artists. I'm so ignorant I don't even know if my search should be in the jazz category or in blues. I know...send the paramedics now!

Every once in awhile I'll hear a selection that I just love! No special focus or limitation on instruments - any and all will fit; but I have never heard the name of the artist or the piece played so I'm left wondering who was the artist, band, etc.

I'm asking for your suggestions on artists who specialize in the smoothest (a subjective word I can't really describe, sorry!) soft, totally relaxing, almost putting you into a Zen state or to sleep; so smooth and soft it feels like a massage!

Based on this can anyone give me some suggestions? And is there a web site where I can listen a bit to see if it fits what I'm searching for before spending bucks only to possibly be disappointed?

I am truly grateful if anyone can overlook my ignorance and give me some help. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To impossible, Ted R, Patrick and anyone else I missed: Thank you for all your suggestions. And thanks for not raking me over the coals for being such a numb-nuts regarding Jazz and Jazz artists and styles. You are so kind. I really appreciate it. I will try to "try" as many of these as I can find.

You guys are great! Thanks for good first leads. :tup

I look forward to learning more about Jazz and what it has contributed to our great American heritage, and the blessing of knowing what sounds ........just so cool.......and makes one feel ........just so good!

In a more contemporary vein; two from Pat Metheny: One Quiet Night (solo baritone guitar) and Beyond the Missouri Sky (duets w/Charlie Haden); and Luciana Souza's (of course! ;) ) two most recent: Tides and The New Bossa Nova. Mellow music from deep players.

In a more contemporary vein; two from Pat Metheny: One Quiet Night (solo baritone guitar) and Beyond the Missouri Sky (duets w/Charlie Haden); and Luciana Souza's (of course! ;) ) two most recent: Tides and The New Bossa Nova. Mellow music from deep players.

Maybe younger guys but not necessarily more contemporary. :w

Edited by Chuck Nessa

As much as I dislike compilations consisting of nothing but ballads, there is a series of these called Plays for Lovers that might be right up your alley. Not only are there many different artists represented, but it will give you a chance to sample different styles played on different instruments. At some point, you might want to expand your horizons and take in some more aggressive material based on who you find that you like amongst the slower stuff.

Another source is the Prestige Moodsville series. If I recall correctly, there were between 35 and 40 albums released under this imprint. You should be able to get a list by googling Prestige Moodsville. These titles were specifically tailored to what we sometimes call the "dinner jazz" contingent.

You might also want to consider joining eMusic. It's a fairly inexpensive way to sample lots of different artists. I'm paying about $.26 a song under my deal, which is a darn sight more reasonable than $.99 at iTunes.

With regard to specific recommendations, don't pass up one called Ballads by Ben Webster. It's on the Storyville label. The last time I checked, it was available from eMusic. Trust me, no one, and I mean no one, plays a ballad quite like Webster.

Up over and out.

Maybe younger guys but not necessarily more contemporary. :w

Here I was waiting for a crack about my use of the word "deep". :bwallace2:

Obvious to most, but maybe not to newbie... the New York Art Quartet was a joke, and I don't think it would be easy to find a copy anyway.

Seriously though, I always go into a blissful, relaxed state while listening to Interstellar Space and Ascension. Not sure how that happens, but it happens every time. Does this music have a similar effect on anyone else?

Welcome! I'm a relative newbie to jazz too (2006) and to this forum, so I don't much. Nor do I have many examples of what you're looking for, but what I do have just happen to be Mosaics (and if you haven't been introduced to Mosaic Records yet, I do NOT want to be the one that gives you "the fever." :crazy: ).

These two box sets put me to sleep every time:

MD7-224, The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions

MD4-120, The Complete Recordings of the Paul Desmond Quartet with Jim Hall

The first is still in print, but the second is not and can be pricey on the secondary market. However, it can be had in a less expensive non-Mosaic version. Good luck with your discovery!