Les Paul - RIP

Jim Alfredson

Guest Bill Barton

Not a lot of good news this morning...

R.I.P. Les Paul.

What a long, full, rich, creative, innovative and influential life he led! Indeed, a life lived to its fullest.

RIP, LP.

I remember as a kid, I saw Les on the old Mike Douglas Show. He had a unit on his guitar that controlled a rack of multitrack recording gear behind him. He called the black box on his guitar the "Les Paul-veriser". He did a live demo of stacking up some parts, and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen!

I recently picked up a Red Callender 78 on the Sunset label. The personnel is listed on the label, and the guitarist was some nobody named Paul Leslie. After the guitar solo on "These Foolish Things," I ran to the computer to find out what else this incredible nobody had recorded. You can guess who it was - and he was already 30 years old at the time (1945). What an amazing career and what a brilliant man.

Here's an obit up at the Iridium website, where Les Paul had a standing weekly gig.

Les Paul Obit @ Iridium

And as is so typical of me, I never went to go see him. I always think, "I'll catch a show next week", next thing you know, they're all gone. :(

Yeah, me too. I remember when he had the weekly gig at Fat Tuesday's. Ah, well. RIP, you genius.

Sorry to see Les go. Les was somewhat local to where I live and I've seen him and met him on several occasions. Real nice guy. WBGO was playing some of his music earlier today. I heard "HHTMoon" , "Lover" and "Zing went tsomh". They sounded so good! When I was a kid a relative had the 78s (capitol?) and I listened. Also the was a 15 minute tv show every weekday - iircc around 3:30 pm. Just to realize what he did wiht multitrack recording makes him unique. What a giant!