Tom Harrell interview

fasstrack

Used to see him at some sessions on Haight Street in 1966.

Was always friendly and kind to me.

Wow. So you met as a young phenom---and before he got sick. I became aware of him around '77 in NY. Bob Mover told me about him. He was playing then! He kicked ass in NY and was everyone's 1st call player in a heartbeat. People started playing and recording his tunes right away, too.

He was always approachable, too, I found, and funnier than people would ever think. I've talked with occasionally him through the years, and his wife seems to like me. Never played, though, and I want to. I'd be curious what he was like back in '66, when he was getting his first wind----as a person and player.

I was 18, new in town and crazy. Tom was a few years older and a "local" boy. I don't have a good memory. He played fine and was respected. The club was "The Haight Levels", on Haight Street about a block from Ashbury. Nice jazz club. Had a Hammond B3 too. Heard Roland Kirk play it one day. He played a blues for about 10-15 minutes.

Got a lot of different textures out of it.

I mostly played across the street at the "Jukebox", another jazz bar.

The Jukebox had jazz every night.

I was 18, new in town and crazy. Tom was a few years older and a "local" boy. I don't have a good memory. He played fine and was respected. The club was "The Haight Levels", on Haight Street about a block from Ashbury. Nice jazz club. Had a Hammond B3 too. Heard Roland Kirk play it one day. He played a blues for about 10-15 minutes.

Got a lot of different textures out of it.

I mostly played across the street at the "Jukebox", another jazz bar.

The Jukebox had jazz every night.

He's had a great life and seems to know it................

Thanks.