Wanna see play live Charlie Parker or Hank Mobley, this is your chance

It's the nutjobs that make California so great and wonderfully diverse! Who wants to live in some boring part of the country where folks don't want to travel back in time?

I do love these sorts of scenarios, and they form the basis for quite a few of the fantasy/sf books I read.

Most pertinently, many years ago I read a sf short story in which the lead character had an obsession/love affair with the past. When, through some mumbo jumbo technology/magick the nature of which I completely forget, he finally was granted his wish to actually travel into the past, he had no control over the process. So he ended up in some pre-historic era in which the human-like residents were knuckle-draggers without even fire. A long way from that dude's favourite historic eras. And when he finally got to travel back to what he thought would be his own time zone, he ended up in a joint so far into the future that there was nothing but endless corridors of cold, white, humming computers.

Isn't this H.G. Wells's The Time Machine?

I dunno - is it? I can't recall reading that partiklar story of his; in fact, I think the yarn I was referring to was in one of those Dangerous Visions anthologies. But it was a long time ago ...

My time travel gigs of choice would be Louis Gottschalk, Jelly Roll Morton, Buddy Bolden, Charley Patton and Grateful Dead, circa 1968.

While I was out stocking up on tinned tomatoes, pasta, olive oil, sausages and so on from Mediterranean Wholesalers, I realised that if I'm indulging in a wishlist of this kind, I really gotta have some country in there, too ...

Um, um ... Milton Brown & His Musical Brownies, early '30s.