So what's so bad about the German ...

neveronfriday

P.L.M. and Couw: are these ZYX CDs from the "20Bit" or "24Bit" series (reference numbers in the OJC20-xxx-2 format)?

ZYX also distributes titles which they have not remastered themselves, those CDs should all be okay.

24bit it seems. You're right, no problems to be expected here. Reference number does NOT start with OJC20

Claude, the titles I listed are 20 bits remastering.

But, aniway, this ZYX are really not friendly CD.

You can't take one without leave on your finger prints all over it.

And the identification on the spine is written from top to bottom sometimes, from bottom to top some other times.

what I recommend buying from them are two boxes.

• The Complete live at  Village vanguard 1961, which is a 3CD XRCD Box from Japan

• The Sonny Rollins 5CD Freelance box

Cheers, Tjobbe

The Japanese Bill Evans 3CD-set The Complete Live at the Village Vanguard 1961 (Victor Japan VICJ-60951) is a 20-bit Digital K2 remastered set, not an XRCD box.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 4 months later...

OK.

Zweitausendeins had a great sale for lots of these Zyx remasters for 4.99 or whatever. I bought pretty much the whole lot.

Many are damn good (I'm listening to Art Pepper+Eleven which sounds more than fine to me), but some sound so awful that one could puke (why is it Ellington that gets the shitty end of the stick all the time?).

Can't we put together a comprehensive list of those releases that sound abominable? I mean, they are available again and again at bargain prices, and every other one is a turkey.

Let me start:

01.Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn. Piano Duets - Great Times!. Absolute shite. Godawful. Hate release. Makes me want to be a terrorist.

02. Count Basie meets Oscar Peterson. The Timekeepers. F***. This thing is such a great session and it's got enough cruddy sound to make you cry. Basie and Peterson in a tin can. Pingy to the max. Crap!

Venting season has started.

Chime in.

It's been a while since we talked about some of the absolute crappola remasterings offered by Zyx germany.

I really love that Count Basie / Oscar Peterson session and by chance I stumbled across a new copy in its JVC XRCD version (cost me under 20 Euro to get it from the US including postage) ... what a difference!

jvcxr-0206.jpg

Besides the fact that the JVC remastering (produced by Akira Taguchi and mastered by Alan Yoshida) is a bit older (I don't feel like running next door now, but I think it was early 90s, around '93 or so), the packaging is far superior and the sound is about a million percent above that @@**@@ Zyx thing.

In fact, just to justify the purchase, I hooked up my second CD player (1st: Marantz; second: NAD) and switched back and forth between the Zyx and the JVC, switching players as well.

Summary: Zyx = shite, shite shite, to the umpteenth power! Crappola to the max. It sucks royally! I have no idea how such a disgusting and vile remastering job could make it through any sort of quality control.

Well, I guess they don't have any of that at Zyx.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Anybody got Rollin's WAY OUT WEST? Wanted to buy the disc today, but then I read on the backcover that it's remastered (24 Bit) by ZYX using this Apogee PSX100-thing.

Greetz, Sonny