Karl Malden has died.

Had no idea he was still around. He was especially fine as the avenging father in Fatal Vision.

At 97 he probably didn't know he was still around. That's a pretty long run, though.

My favorite moments:

'let me get a good look at you in the light'.........Streetcar

punching out the goon that dissed him in On the Waterfront and then telling the guy to try to get him to rat on Johnny Friendly 'Jesus is there with you in the hole'

the best was when he was shot by Brando in some western (not One-Eyed Jacks. Don't know which one). He's on his knees and 80% dead and he keeps screaming at Brando to 'finish me off'

Edited by fasstrack

A Streetcar Named Desire was such a great movie

Karl Malden, the Academy Award-winning actor whose intelligent characterizations on stage and screen made him a star despite his plain looks, died Wednesday, his family said. He was 97.

Malden died of natural causes surrounded by his family at his Brentwood home, they told the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. He served as the academy's president from 1989-92.

While he tackled a variety of characters over the years, he was often seen in working-class garb or military uniform. His authenticity in grittier roles came naturally: He was the son of a Czech mother and a Serbian father, and worked for a time in the steel mills of Gary, Indiana, after dropping out of college.

Story

Malden often found ways to say "Sekulovich" in films and television shows in which he appears. For example, as General Omar Bradley in Patton, as his troops slog their way through enemy fire in Sicily, Malden says "Hand me that helmet, Sekulovich" to another soldier. In Dead Ringer, as a police detective in the squad room, Malden tells another detective: "Sekulovich, gimme my hat." In Fear Strikes Out, Malden, playing Jimmy Piersall's father John, introduces Jimmy to a baseball scout named Sekulovich. In Birdman of Alcatraz, as a prison warden touring the cell block, Malden recites a list of inmates' names, including Sekulovich. Malden's father was not pleased, as he told his son 'Mladen, no Sekulovich has ever been in prison!' Perhaps the most notable usage of his real name was in the TV series The Streets of San Francisco. Malden's character in the program, Mike Stone, employed a legman (played by Art Metrano) with that name, who did various errands. Also, in On the Waterfront, in which Malden plays the priest, among the names of the officers of Local 374 called out in the courtroom scene is Mladen Sekulovich, Delegate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_malden