the blues

AllenLowe

well, I'm about 2 months ahead on my re-mastering so will begin to show my head here again - because of the potential change in Euro laws, the record company wants to get this thing out by Fall -

I think it's actually the most interesting project I've done - will probably be able to post a final list within about 2 weeks - about 1000 cuts, 36 cds total -

have to finish the notes, which will be relatively brief (as in relatively short notations per song) -

thanks to everyone who has assisted with info and other assorted help (Weizen, I had to send those two hookers home, but thanks anyway) -

it's amazing what one semi-offhand remark will do to a guy with ADD - but it only cost me about one year of my life -

ny favorite discovery: blues recorded as the soundtrack to an old Bridgette Bardot movie -

Edited by AllenLowe

Dan - I don't have them in front of me now, but I believe the Baby Face is from after 1959 - the record company has ordered me, unfortunately, to stop at 1959 (complicated reasons) - it's killing me because there's a bunch of 1960 stuff I wanted to use, including Max Roach/Abbey Lincoln, Jaki Byard, the Wailers, Gunther Schuller -

the good news, organ-wise, is that I have some Jimmy Smith (a Percy France cut, so I am very happy), and a Jack McDuff/Willis Jackson -

but nothing's as good as the Brigitte Bardot (I think I spelled it right this time) - of course, that may also be good news, organ-wise -

Edited by AllenLowe

Dan - I don't have them in front of me now, but I believe the Baby Face is from after 1959 - the record company has ordered me, unfortunately, to stop at 1959

I'm having a hard time finding a source but I am almost certain that I have been told that those 45s were recorded pre-1959. I'll keep looking - Blindman's Blues Forum search function isn't helping right now.

This page indicates that the 45 I have, Vee Jay 176 - "Can't Keep From Loving You"/"Why - was recorded in 1956.

This page confirms.

The other 45 that I only have as a third generation recording - reel ->cassette->CDR was on Hollywood Records and while this page doesn't have dates, its believed that his recording for them pre-dated his Vee Jay recording.

I don't think there's any doubt these fit your label's requirements.

1) thanks Dan - that's very good news, especially the early dates - I will go back to the email you sent me with the attachments and let you know if I have any problems -

2) Ubu - I ended up going with a Hodeir/Kenny Clarke piece, the Squirrel from, I think, 1956, that has a great Solal solo on it (say that fast) - apologies, I know you went out of your way, thanks; the nice thing about the Squirrel is that I was able to have one cut with both Hodeir and Solal, saving me some precious space (you would think 36 CDs is enough; I could use about another 5). The Solal solo, by the way, in 1956, reminds me of Paul Bley about 10 years later.

also, btw - I know you probably don't believe me, but I will get finished dubbing that Helen Merrill LP soon -

2) Ubu - I ended up going with a Hodeir/Kenny Clarke piece, the Squirrel from, I think, 1956, that has a great Solal solo on it (say that fast) - apologies, I know you went out of your way, thanks; the nice thing about the Squirrel is that I was able to have one cut with both Hodeir and Solal, saving me some precious space (you would think 36 CDs is enough; I could use about another 5). The Solal solo, by the way, in 1956, reminds me of Paul Bley about 10 years later.

also, btw - I know you probably don't believe me, but I will get finished dubbing that Helen Merrill LP soon -

No problem! Still glad to have been of possible help!

And there's always more stuff around then I can actually play - I'll come to the Merrill whenever it'll be done :)