Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep Mountain High PROMO VIDEO?!?&#3

JSngry

Yeah, I know, but did you hear how they (and just who the hell would "they" be for this, anyway?) remixed Tina's vocal to be way up on top more, more like a conventional pop record? DAMN!

That was the original mono mix of River Deep, Mountain High that was released as a 45. My hip father bought a copy of that 45 when it first came out and it blew my mind. The mix on the later LP, a primitive early stereo experiment that put Tiny much lower in the mix, always sucked compared to the 45. Unfortunately, most CD reissues have used the LP version.

Edited by John L

Saw the "Ike and Tina show" in Madison, WI - 1971/2. We were in the second row, center and it was magic! Tina's vocals were great and Ike had obviously kicked the band into shape. Never forget it.

Saw the Ike & Tina Review at Harvard Stadium in 1970. Had very good seats, and it remains one of the most exciting and memorable shows I've ever seen. Ike and the very tight band opened with a few instrumentals, and when Tina and the Ikettes hit the stage, the whole audience was on their feet and stayed there!

Yeah, I know, but did you hear how they (and just who the hell would "they" be for this, anyway?) remixed Tina's vocal to be way up on top more, more like a conventional pop record? DAMN!

That was the original mono mix of River Deep, Mountain High that was released as a 45. My hip father bought a copy of that 45 when it first came out and it blew my mind. The mix on the later LP, a primitive early stereo experiment that put Tiny much lower in the mix, always sucked compared to the 45. Unfortunately, most CD reissues have used the LP version.

a-HA!

I'ver only once heard the Philles 45 version, and it is as you say - and then some! And I've told everybody since that unless you've heard the 45, you haven't hear "River Deep, Mountain High".

This video would of course be an edited version, right, due to the length?

I gotta start hunting eBay for a Philles 45....

a-HA!

I'ver only once heard the Philles 45 version, and it is as you say - and then some! And I've told everybody since that unless you've heard the 45, you haven't hear "River Deep, Mountain High".

This video would of course be an edited version, right, due to the length?

I gotta start hunting eBay for a Philles 45....

Am I crapping on this thread by saying I find Tina's vocals and mannerisms way too histrionic? It's all release and no tension.

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

I find Tina's singing to be more multiorgasmic than histronic. It's all in the way that you feel it. :D

When my father bought me a front row ticket to the Ike and Tina review in 1969 right underneath Tina and the Ikettes mini skirts, man did I FEEL it.

I find Tina's singing to be more multiorgasmic than histronic. It's all in the way that you feel it. :D

When my father bought me a front row ticket to the Ike and Tina review in 1969 right underneath Tina and the Ikettes mini skirts, man did I FEEL it.

that video was probably from right around that time, John. do you, by any chance, remember seeing those same Ikettes?

I'm very intrigued by where this video might have originated...especially since conventional wisdom has it that Spector paid Ike big bucks to be totally not there for anything having to do with the production of that record.

Listening to it again, though...is that not the most perfect, redefining the possibilities of reality pop/soul record ever made? And is it not a crime against humanity that the mono 45 mix has all but vanished from general circulation?

I'm very intrigued by where this video might have originated...especially since conventional wisdom has it that Spector paid Ike big bucks to be totally not there for anything having to do with the production of that record.

Listening to it again, though...is that not the most perfect, redefining the possibilities of reality pop/soul record ever made? And is it not a crime against humanity that the mono 45 mix has all but vanished from general circulation?

Some internet searching seems to indicate that the mono mix is on the out-of-print Phil Spector retrospective "Back to Mono".