NHL playoffs over

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a tough loss. Blackhawks seem like a team destined to win it all.

I agree. Unless Niemi blows a tire, I can't see the Hawks losing to either Philadelphia or Montreal. They're an awfully good team right now at both ends of the rink and they're playing their very best hockey when it really counts. My personal preference, for old times sake, would be to see an original six match up in the finals. Just think of some of the names that have graced those two sweaters over the years. And, even though he's turned himself into a "this gun for hire" kind of guy, it would be fun to see Marian Hossa finally win a cup. He's been close the last couple of years with the Penguins and then Detroit, but so far, no cigar. He played his Tier One Junior here in Portland with the Winter Hawks, so there's a bit of a local connection.

Kind of weird how Hossa goes from team to team every year. 4 teams in 3 years? Maybe he's not the best guy to have around? Anyway, I think it would be interesting if Hossa was on the losing team in the Cup finals for the 3rd year in a row. Especially if the Flyers are the team that wins :)

The Flyers played one of their better periods this playoffs in the 2nd today. They out shot the Habs 11-1 and scored two goals.

From ESPN...

The Canadiens' one shot in the second period matched a playoff franchise low done twice before, most recently in a 5-2 win over Boston in April 1994. The Penguins were the last team to do it, during their Game 7 win over Detroit in last year's Stanley Cup finals, according to STATS LLC.

WOO HOO!! Flyers shutout the Habs for the 3rd time this series!!

ESPN...

Leighton became the 13th NHL goalie to have three shutouts in one series, and the first since Toronto's Ed Belfour and Tampa Bay's Nikolai Khabibulin did it in the first round of the 2004 postseason.

But the way the Flyers are playing, I wouldn't hand the cup over to Chicago just yet!

Among my friends, I'm famous for going too far out on limbs, but the way Chicago is playing right now, there is no conceivable way Philadelphia can beat them in a seven game series.

How did Chicago do during the regular season?

IMHO, they were the best team in the regular season. Sure, Washington won the President's Trophy, but they got to play a shedload of games against those gawd-awful Southeast division teams. Chicago actually finished second to the Sharks in the West in the regular season, but it seemed to me as though Chicago got bored and took their foot off the gas about mid-season, which allowed San Jose to move ahead of them.

I'm still sticking with my "'Hawks in 5" prediction... they are just too loaded for Philly. Would love to see a seven game series, though!

With all due respect to the Flyers and Canadians, I think the Stanley Cup finals are now underway in the West.

Nah, Flyers are putting up a much better fight than the Sharks did. Unfortunately the Hawks are just too good this year.

Flyers lost this series 3 years ago when they finished with the worst regular season record and got 2nd pick in the draft. Blackhawks finished 5th, picked first, and drafted...... Kane. Ugh.

I think at this point we're looking at a seven game series. If it goes the distance, given that the last game will be played in Chicago, I still like their chances. A couple of other comments. I don't think I've ever seen as many fluky, deflection type goals as I've seen in the first four game of this series. This game is so fast that, as a goalie, you can only make one move and that's to where the shot was originally headed. If it hits a player or a stick, outside of luck, you've got no chance. Also, where the hell was this version of Ville Leino when he was wearing the winged wheel?