NHL playoffs over

Well, what a huge disappointment. I don't have particularly strong sports allegiances, and mostly pull a bit for Chicago teams, except when it comes to hockey where the 'Wings are my team. I realize they won it recently, but I really thought they would pull it off again. I guess they just didn't have enough gas in the tank at the end there.

It just seems like one more kick in the shins for Michigan.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the last two minutes of the game. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd in any sport so dejected after a loss. Total silence. No one leaving for the exits. Just sitting there in shock. Really weird.

And how would you like to be Hossa right now??? Left the Pens to sign with the Red Wings after they lost to Detroit in last years Cup finals. Bad move dude.

And how would you like to be Hossa right now??? Left the Pens to sign with the Red Wings after they lost to Detroit in last years Cup finals. Bad move dude.

He should give baseball's Tommy John a call. Left the Dodgers for the Yankees after losing twice to them, then loses with the Yanks vs. LA in '81. That's gotta hurt.

Penguins surprised me. Pittsburgh is back to being the city of champions...er, other than that Pirate problem.

I'm massively disappointed. I've been a Red Wing fan since the late '50's. Hockey is my sport, so I kind of live and die with them. Like many others, and maybe the Wings themselves, I thought at The Joe they were money. When you go 11-1 at home in the playoffs and the one loss was triple OT, there's reason for optimism. I don't know, it looked like after the first five minutes, they lost their legs. The offense just wasn't there, very few quality opportunities until the last five minutes of the game. Kronwall's shot that ricocheted off the post and then traversed the crossbar about did me in. I guess that's why they say close only counts in horseshoes.

I'm still tweaked about the non-call that led to the Penquin's first goal. How two linesmen can miss such an obvious icing is beyond me. That puck was shot from at least three feet inside the red line. Sorry, that's icing and that's all there is to it. If something like this had happened in the NBA, the conspiracy theorists would be all over it. While I know Gary Bettman would have stood on his head in a bucket of shit to get the Cup into Cindy Crosby's hands, I can't go quite that far.

I'd like to say wait until next year, but there are a number of things that need to happen. Say goodbye and thanks for the great memories to the likes of Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Tomas Holmstrom and Chris Chelios and think twice about signing Hossa to another deal. In spite of a great regular season, he really sucked when it counted. And for cryin' out loud fix the penalty kill.

Up over and out.

Only hockey match I've seen in person was Detroit vs Phoenix in the late 1990s

Went with some who were from Hockeytown and they could never get tickets when they lived there

I like when Detroit and Colorado would go at it back then

I remember when Roy and Vernon or Osgood threw down on Center Ice

Those teams did not like each other PERIOD

Hockey's always been my favorite sport, but I gradually followed it less after I stopped playing (age 40). During the long NHL strike (about 1-1/2 years?) I realized that I could get by without the NHL, and I've rarely watched post-strike.

FWIW, my impression is that the Wings have gotten a bit long in the tooth, and losing the Finals wasn't a big surprise. Pitt finished the season strong (after horrid start), and was still improving when it mattered. I really wanted Det to win, though, among other reasons because I think Bettman and the League want to over-hype Crosby, who I don't like that much.

• 10 months later...

NHL Playoffs 2010

Caps vs Montreal. I couldn't believe it when the Caps came back to win this one tonite. I thought they were toast when they were down 4-1. Amazing. Boudreau's yanking of Jose Theodore from the net 12 minutes into the 1st period after he'd let in the two Canadiens goals was a bit surprising. Caps defense is still quirky imo.....hard to believe they won't get hosed in Montreal....but hey???

If I was a Caps fan, I would be very concerned about goaltending. Theodore is notoriously inconsistent and tends to struggle when the going gets tough. If you have to rely on him to get you to the promised land, you'd better plan on scoring goals in bunches. Not that the Caps aren't capable of doing just that, but as they move deeper into the playoffs, that isn't going to be as easy as it's been against the Canadians. I also think the Blackhawks are going to have problems between the pipes and out West, Evgeni Nobokov has looked decidedly ordinary, if not worse. Usually by now some team's keeper has started standing people on their heads. That hasn't happened. Not even close.

I'll tell you one thing. There is some terrific, extremely competitive and entertaining hockey being played right now. The games have been way more wide open than usual considering that the SCP's tend to put a premium on tight checking and lockdown defense. It would be tough to pick a favorite at this point. There are probably at least six team that have a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. I'm just glad to see my Red Wings completely healthy and playing at the highest level they have all year right at the right time.

I love the Stanley Cup. Honestly, I haven't the foggiest notion as to how anyone could choose NBA basketball over NHL hockey. There is no comparison.

An embarrassing loss for Montreal. Some of those boys need to go back to school and git some learnin' re: self control. Some of the Montreal fans might also want to make appointments with the local Optometrist. What? They didn't see Gionta cross-checking the Caps player in the back multiple times like a fiend? :blink:

Apparently the Flyers' strategy for the series was,"Let Kovalchuk have the puck". He was a non-factor at best. Every time he got the puck the Devils O just sputtered. It's like the rest of the team just stood around watching him waiting for him to do something.

An embarrassing loss for Montreal. Some of those boys need to go back to school and git some learnin' re: self control. Some of the Montreal fans might also want to make appointments with the local Optometrist. What? They didn't see Gionta cross-checking the Caps player in the back multiple times like a fiend? :blink:

heh hem ....

Ah, I think it's becoming clear what the 'O' in Ovechkin stands for. He was a non-factor in the clutch. And a guy who seems a bit lost when the offense is struggling. A front-runner, in other words.

Historic choke by the Caps.

Edited by papsrus