$1 million thrown out in trash

This is actually a sad story, though perhaps there will be a better resolution. Words to the wise: just leave my damn stuff alone!

With the collapse of the world's banking system, an Israeli woman's decision to keep her life savings in her mattress must have seemed like a wise one. But it came back to haunt her when her daughter threw the mattress out – along with $1m (£611,000) stuffed into the lining.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/1...ess-thrown-away

The problem is if you pick a peculiar hiding place then die or end up in a coma, no one will know where you stashed your cash and valuables.

We had a friend who died in a fire last Christmas Eve. He was fighting it with a water hose and overcome by smoke. Later it was discovered he had tens of thousands in cash in a closet that he was trying to protect.

It is often told that W. C. Fields didn't trust banks, created numerous accounts under pseudonyms and died without complete records of where the money was.

While we're on this subject, how many of you have left detailed instructions to tell your heirs how to dispose of your jazz collection? I'm working on mine.

While we're on this subject, how many of you have left detailed instructions to tell your heirs how to dispose of your jazz collection? I'm working on mine.

Good point, Ken.

I've considered Al Cohn Memorial Collection, but haven't put it in the will as of yet.

Well, knock wood that should be 30-40 years off. I have a lot of trouble believing that CDs will be salable items at that point, even the Mosaics, and I don't have enough vinyl to be worth much. But I have given thought to the will and whether it is worth the hassle of setting up a trust for my kids.

Sad story. Funny, though, that this was the plot of a SpongeBob Squarepants episode...

Mr. Krabs has been sleeping badly and complaining of his lumpy old mattress. SpongeBob and Squidward decide to throw out Mr. Krabs' old mattress and buy him a new one. When they do, they learn that Mr. Krabs has stuffed his old mattress with all of his money and SpongeBob and Squidward have to get it back...

Squidward: Haven't you ever heard of a bank?

Mr. Krabs: No!

Good point, Ken.

I've considered Al Cohn Memorial Collection, but haven't put it in the will as of yet.

Dunno what they'd want with buckets of European free-jazz LPs, but hey, if they want 'em...

We had a friend who died in a fire last Christmas Eve. He was fighting it with a water hose and overcome by smoke. Later it was discovered he had tens of thousands in cash in a closet that he was trying to protect.

My great-grandmother died while aboard a passenger liner on a trip back from Italy in the 60's. In her final minutes she said something to the infirmary attendants about contacting my grandmother to tell her about $100,000 that was hidden somewhere in the house....then she was gone. Though there was some question about her rapid medical deterioration and quite possibly delusional state of mind at the time, we poked around a bit over the years but never found anything....so who knows? We sold the house in the early 90's.

Say, anyone want to go bust up a house in the Boston burbs? I'll give you the address! :excited:

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

On arelated note: How about those two guys with their 134 billion dollar briefcase? If the bonds are authentic, they will have to pay a 53 billion dollar fine to the italian treasury.

2 Japanese carrying $134 bil worth of U.S. bonds detained in Italy

But they are probably not:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=afJXAA1ahZyo

If the notes are genuine, the pair would be the U.S. government’s fourth-biggest creditor, ahead of the U.K. with $128 billion of U.S. debt and just behind Russia, which is owed $138 billion.