Has anyone found a way to actually kill

Besides lighting gasoline poured down the hill???

I have tried several products, Ortho last year..something you spread around the mound, but don't put water on, and something this year Ace Hardware had(forget the name, used it all up) that was supposedly 25% more powerful than ever...I think it was actually fire ant food, as I now see more ant hills than ever!

So, surely someone here has found the key to the death of this nasty creatures??? Surely????

Edited by BERIGAN

Any type of ant is a problem because if you don't get to the queen, they will just keep on going. In other words is you spray and kill the ants you see, but the ones under the ground survive including the queen, they will typically just move a few feet over and continue as if nothing happened.

Amdro is the best product that I know of. Just sprinkle it around the hill. Keep in mind it is a bait, so they must eat it and carry it to the queen. Don't expect to see them dropping dead before your eyes but rather expect them to be disappearing little by little.

Amdro.gif

They also make a version that you can spread in your yard like fertilizer. I recommend doing that as well.

I've had the best success using instant grits. No shit.

I know I've been hit by fire ants more times than I can count, but they don't bother me. I can walk barefoot right through poison ivy, dig through the leaves, scratch my face, and nothing. On the other hand, I walk outside and every mosquito/no-see-um in the neighborhood finds my ankles.

My wife gets hit by fire ants once every summer. Her foot swells up, pusses, scabs, etc. We spread instant grits all over the mound, the workers take them down the hole, and they disappear.

Worth a shot. I couldn't believe it when I was told that was the fix.

Those things are nasty. Sting like lit match heads (or what I imagine lit match heads must feel like). The Amdro worked for me. We used to get 'em out in the yard. They seem to like hot, dry areas of the yard. I live in a well-shaded area now and haven't seen any at all.

If the Amdro fails, consider getting an Aardvark.

I could never figure out what instant grits were good for!

The theory is that the grit absorbs moisture as the ants take them down to the queen. As they absorb moisture, and the ants are eating (including the queen), the grit expands to a size that the ant's body cannot handle. They die. Now your soil has dead ants and grits added to it instead of a synthetic and harmful chemical.

Stone Ground Grits would not work because they take much longer to expand.

I've had the best success using instant grits. No shit.

I believe it; instant grits would kill any true Southerner...

hehe, that reminds me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny".

Vinny Gambini: Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?

Mr. Tipton: Just regular I guess.

Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?

Mr. Tipton: No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.

thanks for all the suggestions! Jim, the Ortho I used last year(or was it Amdro-is Amdro what Mark McGuire got busted for using? ;) ) Really, really stunk up the yard. Put it on during the worst part of the drought here, didn't rain for a month. Something that nasty, should have worked. I will try some grits or malt o meal.

I also saw some of the ants by a large hill, and saw they were not fire ants! Wonder if non fire ants are killed by fire ant killer??? Some interesting facts on ants in that link Joe.

thanks for all the suggestions! Jim, the Ortho I used last year(or was it Amdro-is Amdro what Mark McGuire got busted for using? ;) ) Really, really stunk up the yard. Put it on during the worst part of the drought here, didn't rain for a month. Something that nasty, should have worked. I will try some grits or malt o meal.

I also saw some of the ants by a large hill, and saw they were not fire ants! Wonder if non fire ants are killed by fire ant killer??? Some interesting facts on ants in that link Joe.

If it stinks, it's not Amdro.