CROWN HEADQUARTERS UNCOVERED

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown Records? Why isn't this ringing a bell with me?

Who was on their label?

Crown Records today

Crown was a budget label that released some ghastly records, but have these amazing gems spread across their catalog, including the greatest album ever made - "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat" by the Latin Jazz All-Stars.

Crown Records? Why isn't this ringing a bell with me?

Who was on their label?

Crown Records today

Crown was a budget label that released some ghastly records, but have these amazing gems spread across their catalog, including the greatest album ever made - "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat" by the Latin Jazz All-Stars.

Care to explain your designation?

Care to explain your designation?

Sure. Budget labels, in general, tended to release substandard recordings pressed on substandard vinyl and packaged in substandard cover art.

Occasionally, by the law of averages, they would accidentally release a good or great record.

By designation I meant this part of your post:

... including the greatest album ever made - "Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat" by the Latin Jazz All-Stars.

In the early 1960s I lived in Van Nuys, Ca. and bought about 10 Crown albums from Ralph's Market for 88 cents each. They were all good jazz music! Most were re-issues of other west coast labels.

They were very weak on information but a hell of a bargain for a young teen.

Shrink wrapping is a bad idea for records.

Too tight - It warps them. Esp. if exposed to heat/sunlight.

They were plastic film sealed and had an 88 cent round sticker.

They lasted quite well. I played the hell out of them.

Some were mono, some were stereo. I did not have a fancy light "tonearm". They also were played on mechanical trip end of play record players that often would wear the grooves near the end of play.

I used to service these things.

Those budget labels had their moments. The first reissue of Charlie Parker's "Dial" material (I think, correct me if I'm remembering this wrong) was around 1960, on something called "Baronet." (Hard to believe these Parker recordings were out of print just a few years after his death, but lots of material that we now take for granted in the CD era had disappeared by then.)

Those budget labels had their moments. The first reissue of Charlie Parker's "Dial" material (I think, correct me if I'm remembering this wrong) was around 1960, on something called "Baronet." (Hard to believe these Parker recordings were out of print just a few years after his death, but lots of material that we now take for granted in the CD era had disappeared by then.)

Back in the mid-80's I first acquired the the complete Parker/Dial sessions, on vinyl, from a British label called "Spotlight." I still love those Spotlight-Dial LP's.