Master & Commander

There's a good revival/art theatre in San Francisco where you can get beer - the Red Vic. (At least, I hope it's all still there).

But then, Weizen, you'd have to go to San Francisco. :)

But seriously, I have heard from two people that this film is very well done. Peter Weir films are usually good.

I'm a big fan of the books, but I think I'll go see this anyway.

That's got to be the perfect statement from a book lover, Bruce! :g I try to avoid movies based on books I like; they always seem to disappoint. On the other hand, the one movie I saw based on a book I was disappointed with was great! (The Exorcist)

They did a nice job with this one......period uniforms (1805) looked excellent, as did the vessels. Life in H.M. Navy was probably a bit more brutal than was depicted and Crowe has perhaps an extra ounce of fun-lovin' zip to his stride....but overall not a bad choice. I thought that the best part of the film was when they let loose with the first salvo of :huh: .......and then the rear aft the beam :huh: ........plus the tottering foremast had some :huh: ...........and he finally said 'please pass the salt'! Woa !! :excited:

Does the film have 15 minute segments where someone explains the technicalities of rigging, sails and masts in great detail? Without this the film cannot possibly get the authentic feel of the books...well, the one O'Brian I got a third of the way through, anyway!

I enjoyed it. Sure, it leaves out a lot, but of course it has to. As a movie, it was entertaining on it's own terms, and faithful enough to the books to leave it an unguilty pleasure for fans. Once I got used to Maturin being tall and good looking I found myself enjoying Bettany's performance, particulary the moment when he sees the Acheron all by himself on the other side of the island. Damn! You can just feel his ruefulness, and the momentary temptation not to tell anyone. Also, the first instance I can recall of Bach's first Suite for Cello being used in a movie.

Edited by BruceH