The EFFFER-VESCENT Ms. Corky Hale!!!!!

JSngry

Wow, indeed. Do you get the feeling that Carson wanted a piece of her?

And do you get the feeling that Bennett was kinda yielding his seat with some bit of reluctance?

Now, if Mr. Bennett's son is reading this, let me stipulate that I might be wrong about this & make no judgments even if I'm not.

Just want that on the record, ok?

• 4 years later...

Picked a copy of Hale's "Plays Gershwin & Duke" yesterday at a garage sale. It's a 2001 CD reissue on her own label Lass-Hale Productions of her 1957 GNP album "Modern Harp." Nice band (Buddy Collette, Howard Roberts, Larry Bunker on vibes, Red Mitchell or Bob Enevoldsen on bass, Chico Hamilton or Don Heath on drums). Roberts is in especially fine form, and Collette takes a gorgeous half-chorus solo on tenor on "I Can't Get Started." Hale herself (then only 19) has a striking harmonic imagination, and her piano playing on several tracks is quite nutty at times in the best sense, kind of Tristano-esque. Hale grew up in Freeport Il., and studied at the Chicago Conservatory of Music, so perhaps there was some contact there.

Corky is the Lucille Ball of the harp.

What does that mean?

She's playing dumb.

As a "character," so to speak, or as a harpist? If it's the latter, why was she the first-call harpist in the L.A. studios for so many years?

She's obviously a skilled harpist. But c'mon, this spot on Carson is as worked as your average wrestling match.

She was obviously shooting for the stars, so to speak, and happy to play up to the 'starmaker' Carson. It's all a bit to cloyingly naive for me.