I'm Just Guessing, But....

JSngry

Stange as it may seem, Capitol was able, during that era, to do tasteful emotional excess (if that's possible??). Now, when singers tackle this kind of material, they always make sure you know that they're above taking the emotional content seriously, which, to me, is a huge loss for music. I often wonder if the emotional aspect, and at times, way over the top emotions at that, is, in a way, too honest for out times.

Stange as it may seem, Capitol was able, during that era, to do tasteful emotional excess (if that's possible??). Now, when singers tackle this kind of material, they always make sure you know that they're above taking the emotional content seriously, which, to me, is a huge loss for music. I often wonder if the emotional aspect, and at times, way over the top emotions at that, is, in a way, too honest for out times.

I hear ya' on all counts. I'm just thinking that Gordon Jenkins was a whole school of emotional excess all by himself, as was Judy Garland. I don't know that either of them were above taking the emotional content seriously.

Hey - the equation is Garland + Jenkins + Romatic Drama = X subtlety

If X > 0, it would be a miracle beyond miracles.

All I see in the first post is x/x... :(

I don't even see that. I agreed with Free For All, thinking it was some cryptic something or nother.

org.jpg

Buffereal...I have a hell of a time posting images here sometimes. Sometimes I can see them one day and then not the next. One time I posted a bunch from the same source on the sessy albumen cover tread and they became invisible on or two a day, until after about three days they were all invisible - but still present on the source site. Go figure that.

It's horrible. Avoid.

I'm taking your advice to heart because I trust that if there was something there you'd not be afraid to admit it.

I have a much higher tolerance for this kind of stuff than many of the regulars here.

Gordon Jenkins's concept albums, while they have their moments, were corny back in the day and time has only made them worse.

Judy's vibrato was completely out of control by this time, you could fly a plane through it.

If you like Judy and you like "Seven Dreams" or "Manhattan Tower," you may find something worthwhile here, I suppose. My Dad worked with Gordon Jenkins for years and had a copy. When I inherited Dad's record collection, this one didn't stay. Nice cover art, though, with an actual letter affixed to the sleeve.