Scrubs: RIP

My all time favorite tv show ended this week. I was able to catch up on the last four episodes this morning since I missed them because of a business trip, and thankfully, the final episode was very good. What I liked best was that it was open ended, with no strange twists taking place, just leaving the characters is a good place for us. Scrubs is the only tv show I really felt a close attachment to, where the characters were interesting, and I was drawn to their lives. I was sad to see this show end, but I have the dvds to watch from now on. But it's over. *Sigh* I really loved Scrubs. :(

Edited by Matthew

Sorry if it offends, but I'm glad it's gone. I wish they would take it off syndication too; I completely hate that show, especially that curly-haired weiner who makes all the faces. I can't even stand it when I happen to land on when I'm changing channels.

Sorry if it offends, but I'm glad it's gone. I wish they would take it off syndication too; I completely hate that show, especially that curly-haired weiner who makes all the faces. I can't even stand it when I happen to land on when I'm changing channels.

No problema, after all, it is just a tv show. I dislike Scrubs also at first, but then I saw the episode My Screw Up (the best episode in the series to a lot of fans) and I said to myself: "This show needs to be looked into," and I was hooked ever since. It is a series you either love or hate.

I really enjoyed the first four seasons and own them on DVD. From the fifth season on, the show really started circling the drain. (to borrow a phrase) All too often after that, I found too many of the shows to be pretty lame or weak if not outright unwatchable. I'll enjoy my first four seasons and pretend the rest didn't happen.

Edited by mikelz777

I liked Scrubs when I stumbled onto it, but usually missed it when it was on. I don't usually turn the tv on until later in the evening.

To me, Scrubs had a bit of the same wacky/whimsical vibe as Ally McBeal, Northern Exposure, and Going to Extremes, which only lasted one season, but was from the producers of Northern Exposure, and was about a group of medical students studying on a tropical island.

I liked it when it first appeared, but tired of it soon enough.

That's pretty much my take on it. I enjoyed it the first season, but eventually the sarcasm of the John C. McGinley character and the very annoying janitor really began to bug me, and I dropped out.

Are we sure it's over for good? The last I heard was Zach Braff was leaving but that the show was continuing.

Frankly, Matthew, I hope you're right. This was easily the worst season ever. It should've ended a few seasons ago, but at least the subsequent seasons had their bright spots. This season introduced annoying characters, Eliot Reid became even more insufferably annoying than ever before, and the Janitor's character was so poorly written he became a charicature.

I don't completely agree with Cliff about Zach Braff, but I will say this: I have yet to see him in a film where he didn't play an extension of his JD character from Scrubs. You'd think with as much press this guy gets he'd have a bit more range.

Are we sure it's over for good? The last I heard was Zach Braff was leaving but that the show was continuing.

Frankly, Matthew, I hope you're right. This was easily the worst season ever. It should've ended a few seasons ago, but at least the subsequent seasons had their bright spots. This season introduced annoying characters, Eliot Reid became even more insufferably annoying than ever before, and the Janitor's character was so poorly written he became a charicature.

I don't completely agree with Cliff about Zach Braff, but I will say this: I have yet to see him in a film where he didn't play an extension of his JD character from Scrubs. You'd think with as much press this guy gets he'd have a bit more range.

Yeah, the past few season haven't been too good. The way the writers have let the characters become dumber and dumber is not too good. Elliot has become a mindless dope, who says the lamest feel-good crap ever, JD has no self respect, and the other people don't come off great either. Still, something about the series stuck with me and it has become my "comfort food" for stress busting. I have all the DVDs, I watch them in order, and I'm on my tenth go-round watching them all. Zack Braff is insufferable, and a lot of the complaints and observations are true, but I still keep watching. Now what my love for Scrubs, and my love for Cecil Taylor has to do with each other, I don't know. I'll let the Chewmister explain that one to me.

Edited by Matthew

Amen to that, and I'm not sorry if it offends, it was just "Friends" set in a hospital.

Amen to that, and I'm not sorry if it offends, it was just "Friends" set in a hospital.

You're not far off. They even admitted as much in a roundabout way in one episode when either the janitor or Dr. Cox was giving JD & Elliot grief about them being like Ross & Rachel.

"From Friends?"

"No, Ross the doctor and Rachel the nurse. Now THAT'S a cute couple."

(Going from memory here)

I mentioned earlier about Zach Braff not having much range, and at this point, the same can also be said of Sarah Chalke. Shame, too, because her character was cute without being cloying, alluring without being slutty, and just the right bit of nuttiness to become endearing. Unfortunately, her character ended up being cloying, slutty, and anything BUT endearing. Okay, so the writers ruined her character; that's not an indication of anything else, right? Not to those of us who watch "How I Met Your Mother" and saw Chalke basically reprise her Elliott character as one of Ted's love interests. (And she worked in the medical field on THIS show as well! Talk about type-casting!) Imagine our shock when she came back for the last two episodes of this season. Hopefully, it's just a two-episode deal. But it looks as though she's only capable of playing whiny, sex-obsessed neurotics. Either that or she needs to get a better agent who can get her better parts, because I think she's still quite attractive.

You're not far off. They even admitted as much in a roundabout way in one episode when either the janitor or Dr. Cox was giving JD & Elliot grief about them being like Ross & Rachel.

"From Friends?"

"No, Ross the doctor and Rachel the nurse. Now THAT'S a cute couple."

(Going from memory here)

I mentioned earlier about Zach Braff not having much range, and at this point, the same can also be said of Sarah Chalke. Shame, too, because her character was cute without being cloying, alluring without being slutty, and just the right bit of nuttiness to become endearing. Unfortunately, her character ended up being cloying, slutty, and anything BUT endearing. Okay, so the writers ruined her character; that's not an indication of anything else, right? Not to those of us who watch "How I Met Your Mother" and saw Chalke basically reprise her Elliott character as one of Ted's love interests. (And she worked in the medical field on THIS show as well! Talk about type-casting!) Imagine our shock when she came back for the last two episodes of this season. Hopefully, it's just a two-episode deal. But it looks as though she's only capable of playing whiny, sex-obsessed neurotics. Either that or she needs to get a better agent who can get her better parts, because I think she's still quite attractive.

I also hated what the writers did to Sarah Chalke, things really went downhill for Dr. Elliot in terms of quality, especially after Molly Clock (Heather Graham) went away. The final season was especially painful, to see a once vibrant character descend into a cardboard cut-out. That Miss. Chalke can do better is proved by her performance in Why I Wore Lipstick To My Mastectomy, where she was very good and believable.