What does this say?

Is this Hebrew? And what does it say?

post-174-1240928732_thumb.jpg

It's in Hebrew letters, but it might - possibly - be in Yiddish rather than Hebrew. (At one time, Hebrew letters were used in Yiddish-language publications.) I hope someone is able to help you out with it.

How old is the book?

Edited to add: link to place that might be able to help you.

Edited by seeline

:)

Ok, thanks for all the smartass replies, I enjoyed them!

Allen, thanks! And also thanks to seeline.

It's not really of any importance that I find out, I was just curious, really...

The book is from 1985, it's a paperback I got used recently, a great book if you've got any interest in the subject: George L. Mosse: German Jews beyond Judaism. Indiana University Press, Bloomington / Hebrew Union College Press, Cincinnati, 1985 (Midland Books MB 355).

Any of the Israeli members can tell me what that stamp says - Barak, Bentsy?

Yeah, but how did it get there from Jerusalem?

And also, there's not stamp or anything that shows it's been sorted out... ah hell, it's just a paperback of 80 or 90 pages, nothing big, still, I just got curious and wanted to find out about that stamp!

And also, there's not stamp or anything that shows it's been sorted out... ah hell, it's just a paperback of 80 or 90 pages, nothing big, still, I just got curious and wanted to find out about that stamp!

As Dan said, libraries take books out of circulation and sell them as "discards." Usually, the books are extra copies, or else the library sees that nobody has checked an item out for a long time - they put the discarded books on sale to the public for a very low price (in the US, usually .25 for paperbacks and .50-1.00 per hardback) and the money is used for buying new books.

I would imagine that someone bought the book and brought it to the US.

Edited by seeline

As Dan said, libraries take books out of circulation and sell them as "discards." Usually, the books are extra copies, or else the library sees that nobody has checked an item out for a long time - they put the discarded books on sale to the public for a very low price (in the US, usually .25 for paperbacks and .50-1.00 per hardback) and the money is used for buying new books.

I would imagine that someone bought the book and brought it to the US.

Yeah, probably that's what happened. I can't remember where I bought it from, doesn't seem to have been amazon.com, it's not listed there, but it's no big deal anyway!

(and actually the hebrew lettering is standard use for Yiddish; anything else is alliteration) -

Is that supposed to make sense? :unsure:

"transliteration" is (I think) what Allen meant - he's right about this.

Ah. That would make sense.

I hope we don't have many more posts or threads translating what Allen meant. :mellow:

at least three copies left at hebrew university :)

http://aleph518.huji.ac.il/F/KGNK1XFKNHSPD...amp;jump=000021

coincidentally, two hours ago i just gave a book i bought from a library here to a friend who will probably take it with him to switzerland at some time in the future...

Didn't catch this till now... why would they have multiple copies? I've never seen that in local libraries... they're struggling to buy single copies already, it seems (often they're sort of complement each other... or they just have either an original or a German translation...)

at least three copies left at hebrew university :)

http://aleph518.huji.ac.il/F/KGNK1XFKNHSPD...amp;jump=000021

coincidentally, two hours ago i just gave a book i bought from a library here to a friend who will probably take it with him to switzerland at some time in the future...

Didn't catch this till now... why would they have multiple copies? I've never seen that in local libraries... they're struggling to buy single copies already, it seems (often they're sort of complement each other... or they just have either an original or a German translation...)

as far as i can see they have five copies, one in the overseas studies department, one in the education department and three in the mount scopus library which is where the rosenzweig center is

"The Franz Rosenzweig Research Center seeks to honour the cultural legacy of German Jewry from the Middle Ages through the Shoah, and its subsequent reconstruction. The centre was named after the German-Jewish philosopher Franz Rosenzweig (1886-1929), whose life and work are deemed emblematic of the German-Jewish cultural legacy."

so i guess they have multiple copies for several researchers working on the subject (at least that's how it's done here, we often have three or four copies of important books even if they are rather specialized... books which are used in classes are often there in much larger quantities, say 30-50)