Tribute to Horace Silver

I sent several E-mails to Horace's site admin and never heard a word back. It has been hijacked for several years. NoScript's Firefox add-on stopped some trojan virus from getting loaded the last time I visited there. In fact, if you visited there recently, I would recommend an anti-virus scan and anti-malware scan immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

What a terrific show! If you're in or near NYC, go! Laura and I went to the 10:30 show last night and had great seats and got a chance to chat briefly with Michael and meet bfrank, in from San Francisco. I've never heard Tom Harrell before, but he was in wonderful form last night--such an effortless approach to complex lines and harmonies. Toward the end of the set, Tom and the saxophonist (sorry, can't recall his name, but he was great) took a breather and the trio played an absolutely sublime version of "The St. Vitus Dance." It was neat to hear that Blowin' the Blues Away was the first jazz record Michael bought--as I told him afterwards, it was the third or fourth jazz record I bought! :) I can't say enough about this band--we're heading out of town this weekend, otherwise I'd go back for another set or two, and am really disappointed I'm missing the Sunday shows (with Michael Brecker). Seriously folks, GO SEE THIS BAND.

What a terrific show! If you're in or near NYC, go! Laura and I went to the 10:30 show last night and had great seats and got a chance to chat briefly with Michael and meet bfrank, in from San Francisco. I've never heard Tom Harrell before, but he was in wonderful form last night--such an effortless approach to complex lines and harmonies. Toward the end of the set, Tom and the saxophonist (sorry, can't recall his name, but he was great) took a breather and the trio played an absolutely sublime version of "The St. Vitus Dance." It was neat to hear that Blowin' the Blues Away was the first jazz record Michael bought--as I told him afterwards, it was the third or fourth jazz record I bought! :) I can't say enough about this band--we're heading out of town this weekend, otherwise I'd go back for another set or two, and am really disappointed I'm missing the Sunday shows (with Michael Brecker). Seriously folks, GO SEE THIS BAND.

i assume you meant Randy Brecker?!?

sure wish i could catch this band!

*smacks head* Yes, Valerie--Randy Brecker!

i assume you meant Randy Brecker?!?

sure wish i could catch this band!

For anyone who's interested I thought I'd post our set list:

Cookin' at the Continental

Moonrays

Metamorphosis

Homage (original)

Pretty Eyes

Where You At?

Ecaroh

Après Vous (original)

Enchantment

St. Vitus Dance

Peace

Mellow D

Nutville (Sunday only)

Edited by Michael Weiss

Moonrays

Metamorphosis

Homage (original)

Pretty Eyes

Where You At?

Ecaroh

Après Vous (original)

Enchantment

St. Vitus Dance

Peace

Mellow D

Michael - Any chance this music was recorded? Any chance you might want to offer CD-Rs of this recording for sale? Other people are doing it and it seems to be a pretty good way to make a few bucks. I'd buy it.

Moonrays

Metamorphosis

Homage (original)

Pretty Eyes

Where You At?

Ecaroh

Après Vous (original)

Enchantment

St. Vitus Dance

Peace

Mellow D

Michael - Any chance this music was recorded? Any chance you might want to offer CD-Rs of this recording for sale? Other people are doing it and it seems to be a pretty good way to make a few bucks. I'd buy it.

Count me in. I would buy a copy.

Thanks for the thought. If it was my own music it might be a possibility. But Horace's publishing company would deserve a mechanical royalty, the musicians would need to be all in agreement on compensation, the recording would have to be CD release quality, etc. etc. Then again if Blue Note wants to record us.... In the meantime you can always buy one of my previous releases! :rolleyes:

Really great meeting Michael and Peter!

Enjoyed the whole show. My favorite piece of the night was "St Vitus Dance" by just the trio. Nothing wrong with Tom Harrell and Eric Alexander, but those three musicians really captured something on that tune.

Having said that, I feel fortunate to have seen Harrell. I'm sure he doesn't do many live shows these days and that night he was in fine form.

Thanks for the thought. If it was my own music it might be a possibility. But Horace's publishing company would deserve a mechanical royalty, the musicians would need to be all in agreement on compensation, the recording would have to be CD release quality, etc. etc. Then again if Blue Note wants to record us.... In the meantime you can always buy one of my previous releases! :rolleyes:

Bluenote or some record company should record this band. You guys were smoking.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Enjoyed the whole show. My favorite piece of the night was "St Vitus Dance" by just the trio. Nothing wrong with Tom Harrell and Eric Alexander, but those three musicians really captured something on that tune.

Having said that, I feel fortunate to have seen Harrell. I'm sure he doesn't do many live shows these days and that night he was in fine form.

Tom played his ass off all week, but on Sunday night, he was just on fire. Maybe Randy's presence inspired him to kick it up a few notches. All of us on stage were mesmerized. There wasn't much left to say after Tom soloed - just taking the tune out would not have seemed unreasonable.

GAAAH! I KNEW that was going to happen (damn relatives!)! Still, I have nothing bad to say about the set I saw...really terrific stuff.

Tom played his ass off all week, but on Sunday night, he was just on fire. Maybe Randy's presence inspired him to kick it up a few notches. All of us on stage were mesmerized. There wasn't much left to say after Tom soloed - just taking the tune out would not have seemed unreasonable.