It's been nice

"some of them have launched petty and personal attacks on others as well, which sometimes resulted in nasty exchanges, bad feelings and a negative atmosphere."

I certainly hope, JAW, that, assuming I know what you are referring to, you know the full history and the prior posts - because what you've said above is, otherwise, shockingly uninformed -

and somewhat strange, since you want certain feuds to end, yet keep referring to them, endlessly provoking responses -

unless, of course, you are referring to something entirely different - in which case you need to do more than hint in ways which do nothing but imply -

Let me just refer to the nasty exchanges you (as one of the "well-known people and/or people with active public profiles") had with couw and myself here a few years ago and leave it at that.

Paul Secor is right in his post above this one, let's let this go - I will.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always enjoyed Chris' posts and recollections about music both here and elsewhere. I don't pay much attention to the political forum.

A pity to see him go. There are a number of people who talk a lot of common sense about music - Chris, MG, Jim R, Kenny Weir, Seeline spring to mind - who have either vanished or make rare appearances. That's a pity.

MG is not posting lately due to computer/ISP problems.

I recall the last major split was maybe a year ago over the US style "free speech" vs. European consensus approach.

The problems in 2007, which came to a head in the last couple of months of that year, arose from personal attacks and indeed the different American and European interpretations of freedom of speech. They drove members like couw, deus62/neveronfriday and a few others away. I was also very upset and left the board for a while.

I miss couw - the board was a better place with his contributions.

I recall the last major split was maybe a year ago over the US style "free speech" vs. European consensus approach.

The problems in 2007, which came to a head in the last couple of months of that year, arose from personal attacks and indeed the different American and European interpretations of freedom of speech. They drove members like couw, deus62/neveronfriday and a few others away. I was also very upset and left the board for a while.

You're right. Unfortunately, he has no intention to return.

"some of them have launched petty and personal attacks on others as well, which sometimes resulted in nasty exchanges, bad feelings and a negative atmosphere."

I certainly hope, JAW, that, assuming I know what you are referring to, you know the full history and the prior posts - because what you've said above is, otherwise, shockingly uninformed -

and somewhat strange, since you want certain feuds to end, yet keep referring to them, endlessly provoking responses -

unless, of course, you are referring to something entirely different - in which case you need to do more than hint in ways which do nothing but imply -

Allen,

There's no need to respond. It's OK to sometimes let things go, chuckle to yourself and move on. You save yourself and everyone here a headache. Sometimes you guys here are like my two sisters when they were much younger, squabbling and doing the "he did it first, that's why I did it". TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.

I agree in principle but just wait until you are the object of such things - it is really not something that anyone would ignore - but as I said I agree (in principle) -

however I am not going to be Mike Dukakis -

Edited by AllenLowe

Please send my regrets about this to John, if possible. He was a good guy. (and hopefully still is...)

Please send my regrets about this to John, if possible. He was a good guy. (and hopefully still is...)

miss couw 2. he was a lotta fun.

miss couw 2. he was a lotta fun.

me 3, Couw was a very cool guy.

no wonder he left - nobody could pronounce his name -

as I recall he didn't like my Hitler jokes, and as I look back this may be another of those cultural things - for Jews, Hitler/Nazi jokes are a form of retaliation and reparation. Nothing personal, at least not toward this generation -

Edited by AllenLowe

I will miss Chris.

If he really decides to stay away I will miss his very interesting and informative posts on music, but not his repetitive rants about some people and religious/political issues.

My thoughts exactly. And for that reason, I'm especially disappointed he took his music posts with him. This site is an amazing source of information about music, and Chris' posts were/are a part of that.

no wonder he left - nobody could pronounce his name -

Not funny. We lost a good contributor and a fun all around board member, which was totally unnecessary.

as I recall he didn't like my Hitler jokes, and as I look back this may be another of those cultural things - for Jews, Hitler/Nazi jokes are a form of retaliation and reparation. Nothing personal, at least not toward this generation -

I don't care for Hitler jokes either, and I don't think it's a cultural thing.

Edited by Aggie87

I used to be drama queen. Now I have bills to pay.........

I like Chris, plan to stay in touch. He's a big boy. Why is this shit so important?

These boards are good for making friends, promoting good music/musicians, screwing around.

Man's inhumanity to man (and woman) has been around thousands of millenia before this board, and likely thousands after. Why get into all this f*(&ing drama?

I don't get it and never will.......

I agree in principle but just wait until you are the object of such things - it is really not something that anyone would ignore - but as I said I agree (in principle) -

I guess you're right; after all, no one else has ever been attacked on an internet bulletin board before...

On the hosting side of things, I think you would find it hard to find a site as light-touch regulated as this one. The moderators give an awful lot of rope. I got a slap on the wrist once but it was done via PM and very politely.

I must have used three or four different jazz bulletin boards (and one folky one). This one has by far the most consistent and (to my mind) fairest approach to moderation.

The flip side of that is that you do have to tolerate some very loud personalities, utterly convinced that they are bringing truths inscribed on tablets of stone down the mountain.

Very briefly: in many European countries free speech is regarded as being relative, i.e. not as absolute as in the United States; you can freely attack someone's beliefs/convictions (political views, religion, etc.) but you can't attack a person because of what they are (gender, race, sexual preference and things like that). In some cases insults and verbal abuse aren't allowed either, though this varies depending on the social climate. There's a saying here that one's freedom ends where it violates another person's freedom.

That sounds remarkably like a famous quote from American Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. (1841-1935): "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

I've always enjoyed Chris' posts and recollections about music both here and elsewhere. I don't pay much attention to the political forum.

A pity to see him go. There are a number of people who talk a lot of common sense about music - Chris, MG, Jim R, Kenny Weir, Seeline spring to mind - who have either vanished or make rare appearances. That's a pity.

MG is not posting lately due to computer/ISP problems.

Yes, I read his post about that. I'm not suggesting that any have left in a huff. Merely that I particularly enjoyed their posts - they each have a very distinctive take on music that they are able to express with humility.

Anyway, Kenny is around as he's mentioned above; and I've noticed Jim R reappear more recently. Seeline pops in every now and then when a world or Latin thread goes active.