It's been nice

In what seems to be a case of little brother playing big brother, they had started to remove some of my threads, so I decided—as a departing gesture—to help them along and simply remove all that I could. BTW, that deactivation of edit some of you complained about is, I'm afraid something little brother did for my benefit :)

Don't want to dwell on this, I am permanently out of here and I want y'all to know that I shall miss most of you, but I feel uncomfortable here. I am disappointed in people I once supported, but I don't leave in anger, because the Big O has given me much pleasure, and that will stay with me. It has also taken up too much of my time, but that's my own fault. Thanks to those of you who sent me messages, they are really appreciated. Hope to keep in touch with some of you off the board.

Chris

BTW, Jim, you might as well have little brother go all the way and remove me from the membership list—I shan't be needing that anymore.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In what seems to be a case of little brother playing big brother, they had started to remove some of my threads, so I decided—as a departing gesture—to help them along and simply remove all that I could. BTW, that deactivation of edit some of you complained about is, I'm afraid something little brother did for my benefit :)

Don't want to dwell on this, I am permanently out of here and I want y'all to know that I shall miss most of you, but I feel uncomfortable here. I am disappointed in people I once supported, but I don't leave in anger, because the Big O has given me much pleasure, and that will stay with me. It has also taken up too much of my time, but that's my own fault. Thanks to those of you who sent me messages, they are really appreciated. Hope to keep in touch with some of you off the board.

Chris

BTW, Jim, you might as well have little brother go all the way and remove me from the membership list—I shan't be needing that anymore.

Can someone explain what the hell happened for those of us, like myself, who are in the dark about this little/big brother stuff?

What a dickhead thing to do, Chris. Seriously. Nobody has been deleting your posts except you. I just checked the admin/moderator logs (which I can link to if anyone doesn't believe me) and nobody has been deleting your posts or topics. Except you... because you're pissed off at me and think it's funny or something.

It's really very hurtful and shows a complete lack of respect for the board and our fellow members. If you want to leave, then just leave. But don't act like an asshole and delete a bunch of your posts and fuck up the entire flow of the board. That's just a total dickhead move, man.

Yes, that's why we decided to put a time limit on how long after a post is made one can edit/delete it... because we had an inkling that Chris would do this (ie, start deleting his own posts). But instead, I've restored everyone's ability to edit/delete their own posts and assigned Chris his own category of membership that doesn't allow him to edit or delete any posts at all.

I'm really disappointed and hurt.

I have always enjoyed Chris' postings on music, and his knowledge of music history. This seems similar to when he left the Blindman's Blues Forum, and he never went back there again. I hope that Jim tells us what happened, if Jim wants to.

I just checked and Chris' last post on the Blindman's Blues Forum was on April 3, just 12 days ago.

Edited by J.A.W.

meant to indicate, JAW, that I am in complete sympathy with Chris - he can post what he wants to post, people may disagree, but already, in this thread, there have been several personal attacks. I am feeling much the same way recently -

Edited by AllenLowe

What a dickhead thing to do, Chris. Seriously. Nobody has been deleting your posts except you. I just checked the admin/moderator logs (which I can link to if anyone doesn't believe me) and nobody has been deleting your posts or topics. Except you... because you're pissed off at me and think it's funny or something.

It's really very hurtful and shows a complete lack of respect for the board and our fellow members. If you want to leave, then just leave. But don't act like an asshole and delete a bunch of your posts and fuck up the entire flow of the board. That's just a total dickhead move, man.

Yes, that's why we decided to put a time limit on how long after a post is made one can edit/delete it... because we had an inkling that Chris would do this (ie, start deleting his own posts). But instead, I've restored everyone's ability to edit/delete their own posts and assigned Chris his own category of membership that doesn't allow him to edit or delete any posts at all.

If this is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then not only is it a dickhead thing to do but it's also unbelievably childish and petulant, a real "they're my toys and you're not playing" attitude, a total drama queen. Especially when you have been given a position of trust in what is supposed to be an online community.

I have never understood the obsession some people have with announcing that they are leaving a Message Board, as if it's some sort of an end of an era. Just don't post anymore, its very simple.

meant to indicate, JAW, that I am in complete sympathy with Chris - he can post what he wants to post, people may disagree, but already, in this thread, there have been several personal attacks. I am feeling much the same way recently -

Everyone can post what they want to post, but within the rules set by the board's owner/administrator.

Chris

... He'll be back. He always comes back. I've lost count of how many times he's said "I'm outta here," only to be back in a matter of months (if that).

These are the three important posts here.

You've got a declaration of the truth from Jim - in a final blaze of petulant glory, Chris picked up his toys and left, only after deleting whatever he could, but nothing has been deleted by an administrator. No one deserves any respect if that's how they treat the community.

And whatever did happen, as Al points out, here and elsewhere, Chris has picked up his toys and left many times in the past. But before you know it, he'll ask you to be his friend again.

edit to add that the "brother" references are to Administrator Use3D, Jim's brother who was deeply involved at the start of the board, disappeared for a long time and then recently returned.

Edited by Dan Gould

He was posting what he wanted to post, no? I mean the only thing I remember reading to the contrary was that Jim or someone asked him to stop the continous posting of who was on his ignore list.

His gripe was that Jim and any other moderators were not coming down on another member and did not ban him/her. Jim's explanation was reasonable. The member was not breaking any rules. At least that's as much as I know about it.

I like Chris and I hate to see a long time member like him leave, but he could have had some dialogue directly and personally with Jim on this. I think we would all agree Jim A. has always been fair and he deserved better than to be shit on like this.

I'm going to be in-and-out on this one.

Banning members should be the absolute last straw, and I think Jim has been very judicious with his executive power.

Members requesting that other members be banned should be done through PM to administrators.

Members should not hit "Add Reply" after typing a personal attack into the "Reply" field.

If folks are THAT irked by other members and can't actually ignore said members, they ought to consider the "ignore" feature and be done with it. No reason to make it known that you are ignoring someone either.

I have never understood the obsession some people have with announcing that they are leaving a Message Board, as if it's some sort of an end of an era. Just don't post anymore, its very simple.

They want to see how everybody feels about the exit. Maybe someone will beg them to stay.

Another day of drama on....

As The Organissimo Turns.