Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

Alfred

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's always the aforementioned Riverside series, New Orleans: The Living Legends, sessions that represent two memorable weeks of my life.

robinsonj1846.gif

JIM ROBINSON PLAYS SPIRITUALS AND BLUES

New Orleans: The Living Legends

robinsonj1844.gif

JIM ROBINSON'S NEW ORLEANS BAND

thomask1845.gif

KID THOMAS AND HIS ALGIERS STOMPERS

featuring Emile Barnes

OJCCD-1845-2 (Riverside 386)

pierce1847.gif

BILLIE AND DEDE PIERCE

Blues and Tonks from the Delta

OJCCD-1847-2 (Riverside 9394)

pierce534.gif

BILLIE AND DEDE PIERCE

OBCCD-534-2 (Riverside 370)

humphrey1834.gif

PERCY HUMPHREY'S CRESCENT CITY JOYMAKERS

OJCCD-1834-2 (Riverside 9378

cottrell1836.gif

THE LOUIS COTTRELL TRIO

Bourbon Street New Orleans: The Living Legends

OJCCD-1836-2 (Riverside 9385)

bocagep1835.gif

PETER BOCAGE with HIS CREOLE SERENADERS

AND THE LOVE-JILES RAGTIME ORCHESTRA

OJCCD-1835-2 (Riverside 9379)

barrette1832.gif

Edited by Christiern

Chris, I have all of those also. I've had them since they came out. I was in high school when Riverside released those and I used to cut school and take the bus (the same one I take now !) into town and a store on 5th Ave called "The Record Hunter" had all of them. I picked them up over a few visits.

I think that "The Living Legends" series is not only totaly enjoyable, but it's great music and really essential listening for jazz lovers. It's the one of the first examples I know of where you can hear those guys and that type of music in good sound. You can't go wrong getting "the Living Legends".

Interesting stuff, Chris. Do you have a favorite??

eMusic seems to have most (if not all) of these, too.

No favorite, but I rather like the Louis Cottrell sessions, which is why I did two albums. All in all, I was very satisfied with this recording trip, which is more than I can say for my subsequent trek to Chicago for a continuation of the Living Legends series.

In fairness to the Chicago artists, I have to add that bungling amateur "recording engineers" were the hair in that soup.

Hi Christiern

Since you recorded Kid Thomas here's a little tidbit:

Kid Thomas recorded a lot of stuff in Denmark for Knudsen.

When he went to Aarhus, he proudly proclaimed that he was going to play in another country. (Just a little humor, no disrespect to the man, he was a wonderful trumpet man).

My avatar is the upturned Ymaha grand from the hurricane that Rotterdam encountered about a year ago. Made a real mess of it. I was on the Rotterdam this year in January. They had to Yamaha grands, a blue one and a kind of red one. I played both, they were absolutely horrible. I didn't know Yamaha made such awful stuff. Maybe the wood is different because of all the moisture on the ship. (I should have asked but didn't)

Skaal!

I'm glad you like the cover photos. After seeing some of his stunning photographs, we hired Ralston Crawford to take pictures for the covers. He was an interesting man who had been an artist at the Walt Disney studios, was primarily a painter, but took up photography in the late 1930s. He had been photographing the French Quarter for about ten years when did the cover shots, and we used some of his earlier ones--including, as I recall, the steps to Oliver's house.

Ralston was also present at every session, shooting inside the hall, although we had hired Florence Mars (from Philadelphia, Mississippi) for the interiors. I wish we had used Ralston's--it was amazing to see how two photographers could cover the same event with such different results. Florence was a good photographer who snapped indiscriminately and constantly made one aware of her presence, Ralston moved around discreetly and framed each shot with an artist's eye before pressing the shutter release. I think the choice was determined by the budget--it had not been an inexpensive project and no one expected vintage-style New Orleans music to sell many albums. Bill Grauer's decision to send me down there was dictated by his strong love of the music.

Hell, I'm ready to preorder it NOW. :tup And I'm sure many others on this Board--and elsewhere--would do the same. And if Norman Lear wanted to do one of his socially-responsible feel-good things, he could donate part of the proceeds from sales of the set to some sort of Katrina relief focused on the jazz commnunity.

Thanks, Chris! Please keep us posted if you hear anything.

I just hope that nobody at Concord--and especially Norman Lear--takes my "socially-responsible feel-good" comment the wrong way. :( I actually have a great deal of respect for Mr. Lear and his many artistic, societal, and philanthropic contributions.