4 I Want a Little Girl

5 The Red Door [instrumental]

6 Goin' to Chicago Basie, Rushing

7 I Cried for You Arnheim, Freed, Lyman

8 Everyday I Have the Blues Chatman

9 It's Noteworthy [instrumental]

10 Good Morning Blues

Color me interested!

I don't have my LPs in front of me, but this looks a lot like one of two I have. One was on Montage, but there was also a bootleg of some sort, with a mimeographed cover. The sound on the latter was pretty hollow, but still a fun listen.

I just don't think the repertoire brings out the Rushingness of Rushing, not a whole albums worth. That and it sounds like it was recorded in a padded room with no air.

As far as best-ever, you gotta go a long way to beat Rushing Lullabies, imo.

The You and Me that Used to Be is the Victor date produced by Don Schlitten, and though Jim and I never disagree (???????) I think it is the best thing Rushing ever recorded - includes Ray Nance!

I'm with Allen on this one. I just love this album--not that I don't love all the others too. I never miss a chance to pick up something recorded by Mr. Five by Five. (What a *great* singer he was!) Zoot does some nice work on this one as well.

greg mo

This appears to be the same material as the Montage LP, except there are one or two tracks by Richie Kamuca on the Montage. Haven't played it in a long while but, as I remember, the Montage stuff was good - not great - Rushing. I'll have to listen again and report back.

Thanks. I feel a little better about my fading memory (re: Kamuca)

This appears to be the same material as the Montage LP, except there are one or two tracks by Richie Kamuca on the Montage. Haven't played it in a long while but, as I remember, the Montage stuff was good - not great - Rushing. I'll have to listen again and report back.

Thanks. I feel a little better about my fading memory (re: Kamuca)

My memory faded too. For some reason I remembered a Richie Kamuca track or two on this, but the final two tracks are Ellington piano solos. (I think that Montage was a Boris Rose label & he just filled out the LP with a couple of extra Ellington tracks he had laying around.) Richie Kamuca was evidently sitting in with Al & Zoot, tho the notes make little mention of anything about the music on the LP. Thought I detected him on "I Can't Believe...", but I'll have to listen more. Perhaps the notes on the High Note will clear some of this up, including the date of recording - the Montage notes do say mid sixties.

Anyway, some very good Rushing - he sounded better to me the more I listened - and the band's blowing makes a very nice addition to the vocals.

I guess everyone's heard the recording with Brubeck/Paul Desmond. Can't remember the name, and it's morphing in my decaying memory into The Jazz Ambassadors with Pops, Carmen McCrae, and Brubeck, who also wrote the music. I know it's a whole different animal, so someone please straighten me out. I was amazed when I first heard about this, couldn't imagine it, those guys together, how it would work and lay. It's terrific, though, as I remember. They all sound great together.

Edited by fasstrack

The You and Me that Used to Be is the Victor date produced by Don Schlitten, and though Jim and I never disagree (???????) I think it is the best thing Rushing ever recorded - includes Ray Nance!

I think that Rushing was losing something in his voice by the time of that album, but that it has a unique charm. "All God's Children Got Rhythm" is a particularly rousing track, sung in a way that no one else could hope to duplicate, in my opinion.