MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YES!!! Good win for the Phillies tonight. I would experience great and tremendous joy over a Yankee collapse in this World Series.

I still like the Yankees chances. Pettitte, pitching at Yankee Stadium with the crowd behind him, certainly has a better shot at getting by on three days rest than did poor A.J. Burnett. Pedro has to get over his Yankee Stadium history and even if he does, the Phillies are stuck between a rock and a hard spot if this goes to seven games. Lee is out unless they need him for an inning, so that leaves them with slim pickings. If Pettitte doesn't have it, then Sabbathia goes and if he doesn't, Burnett didn't pitch enough tonight so as to be completely off the list. Like I said, I still like the Yankees chances. Knock on wood.

Up over and out.

I do too, Dave. I really didn't think NY had much of a shot at winning tonight--though it's a shame to get 5 ER off Lee and not come away victorious. I am concerned about Pettitte on 3 days' rest, but Mo should be rested enough to pitch 2 innings. Get a lead, hold the lead, and get to Mo. I'd love to see NY win it at home with Pettitte leading the way. It'll be a hell of a showdown, that's for sure.

Kudos to the Phillies for their win tonight, and to their fans. I'll say it again--we did well to take 2 of 3 there, especially given Philadelphia's 11-1 record at home against everybody else in the postseason for the past two years.

I turned it off after Posada smacked that lead off double in the 9th. I couldn't watch this thing unravel two night in a row. This is like death by a thousand cuts. If the Phillies are to lose this series(and I'm still thinking they will in 6) I almost wish they had lost tonight just to get it over with. The more this series stretches out the more painful it will be when they finally lose. Kind of like removing a band aid. Do you do rip it off fast and get it over with or do you peel it off ever so gently trying not to snag any hairs or scab? No matter which method you choose either way is going to involve some pain.

I'll be relieved when this series is over so I can start getting to bed at a decent hour. The stress from these late nights is killing me.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

If the Yankees win, I'd have to go with Damon, but I wouldn't preclude the idea of Chase Utley. Six home runs with as many as two games left is not something you just sneeze at. However, Damon's Dash, a phrase I just coined, is one of those things that will stay in Series lore. Perhaps not quite at the level of Gibson's home run, Buckner's error or Reggie hitting three out in '77 on three straight pitches, but it may very well be the one thing that stays with fans years from now when they think about the 2009 championship. Mo is Mo and would not be undeserving, but Damon is the straw that's stirred the drink.

Up over and out.

The more this series stretches out the more painful it will be when they finally lose.

I know as a fan that if your team loses the WS, it's painful. But the fact that they've climbed back in it legitimizes them to me - I'd love to see it go to a Game 7, which is entirely possible. I think the Phils have a win in 'em tomorrow night!

So it's Pettite on six days rest at home versus Martinez on the road on four days rest. An intriguing matchup. Of course, the Yankees are the favorites with their superior bullpen, but I've been following the Phillies all my life, and this is the best, most gutsy team we have ever had. Ever! I would never count them out. Nevertheless, if they do go down, I'll forever be grateful to them for what they've given me and their long-suffering fan base. Utley, Rollins, Howard, Werth, Victorino, Ruiz.... These are names that will be remembered forever in Phillie fandom. Last year, they'd given us the second World Championship in the 100+ year history of the Phillies, and this year has been another incredible thrill ride. Go Fightins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by blind-blake

Clear weather forecast for tonight, but rain for tomorrow (Thursday) evening. What if Philadelphia wins tonight and Game 7 has to be pushed back to Friday? Then you'd have CC on 4 days' rest, and the Phillies would have the option of pitching Cliff Lee on 3 days' rest. Surely they would... would be a hell of a finale.

Obviously I'm hoping it won't come to that and that NY will put it away tonight. Great match-up, Pettitte and Martinez going against each other!

I expect dramatics from Matsui.

Like a HR off Pedro?

Then a two runs batted in single?

Matsui = Godzilla

Pedro = Tokyo

Man, it's amazing how an entire game can turn on one play. If Victorino plays Jeter's single correctly Matsui would have never come up to bat that inning. And how about that strike 3 call on ARod?? That must have been a payback from Cowboy Joe West for the 3rd strike on Howard in the 9th in Game 2. Both of those pitches were about a half foot off the plate.

Not looking too good for the Fightin's but there's still a lot of game to be played...

I love it. The Yankee fans are chanting "Who's your daddy?" Poor Pedro is never going to live that one down.

Up over and out.

The arrogance of the Yankees rears its ugly head yet again.

I expect dramatics from Matsui.

Like a HR off Pedro?

Then a two runs batted in single?

Matsui = Godzilla

Pedro = Tokyo

Man, it's amazing how an entire game can turn on one play. If Victorino plays Jeter's single correctly Matsui would have never come up to bat that inning. And how about that strike 3 call on ARod?? That must have been a payback from Cowboy Joe West for the 3rd strike on Howard in the 9th in Game 2. Both of those pitches were about a half foot off the plate.

Not looking too good for the Fightin's but there's still a lot of game to be played...

Yeah, yeah.

Fuck the Yankees.