MLB 2009 Season

Let's hope a second comeback is in the cards. I have no idea what Girardi is thinking. I wouldn't have had Burnett in after the 6th at all. Start your countdown to Mo. Probably go with Hughes even though he's been ineffective, followed by Chamberlain, who hasn't been any better, and hopefully that gets you to Rivera. Marte. Where does he fit in? Joe must be consulting the same book he used when he gave away the game the other night. I much prefer grizzled old guys with tobacco juice running down their chins making the decisions. I'm afraid Joe is about to over manage his way to another loss.

Up over and out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's hope a second comeback is in the cards. I have no idea what Girardi is thinking. I wouldn't have had Burnett in after the 6th at all. Start your countdown to Mo. Probably go with Hughes even though he's been ineffective, followed by Chamberlain, who hasn't been any better, and hopefully that gets you to Rivera. Marte. Where does he fit in? Joe must be consulting the same book he used when he gave away the game the other night. I much prefer grizzled old guys with tobacco juice running down their chins making the decisions. I'm afraid Joe is about to over manage his way to another loss.

Up over and out.

Yeah, you're right, Dave--as the announcers pointed out, Burnett was in the dugout for a long time while NY was batting in the 7th. Certainly he should have been pulled after giving up that leadoff hit. I guess Marte did OK with the sacrifice and the groundout...Robertson's been pitching really well, why not bring him in?

IF NY can ultimately get past the Angels in this series--and that's a big if, given 2004, given how pumped the Angels will be if they win tonight after blowing a big lead--then I think we'll still have serious questions about how NY can beat Philly if Girardi continues to mismanage the bullpen. And outside of Rivera and Robertson, everybody is looking rather hittable and shaky right now.

Can't even think about that right now, though...I'm worried that we won't even get to the WS at this rate.

Great game--lots of late-inning drama, and kudos to L.A. for coming back after blowing that lead. Very painful loss for NY--sure hope we can nail it down Saturday night in the Bronx. Dave, I fear we're going to have to sit through lots of "ghosts of 2004?" stories for the next two days...not to mention rightful second-guessing about Girardi's pitching decisions.

Great game--lots of late-inning drama, and kudos to L.A. for coming back after blowing that lead. Very painful loss for NY--sure hope we can nail it down Saturday night in the Bronx. Dave, I fear we're going to have to sit through lots of "ghosts of 2004?" stories for the next two days...not to mention rightful second-guessing about Girardi's pitching decisions.

Boy, do I hear you. I've got lots of friends who will rejoice in the opportunity to remind me of 2004. I really wanted the Yanks to wind this up tonight and have a few days to get their house in order before next Wednesday. Not gonna happen. Let's hope A.P. has his game face on Saturday night. Another 10-1 Yankee blowout would be most welcome.

Up over and out.

No disappointment on the "ghosts of 2004" motif--I've seen several articles along those lines in the past 36 hours.

On another not-so-great note, near the end of this piece about Swisher's woes is a stat breakdown of how the NY bullpen "bridge-to-Mo" is flailing badly. It continues to be NY's greatest vulnerability (the thermal exhaust port in the Death Star for all you Yankee-haters out there ;) ).

I'm wondering if the Angels go all in and start John Lackey tomorrow night on three days rest? I'm also worried about a game seven screwing up the rotation if the Yanks end up winning. If Sabbathia has to throw on Monday, and assuming there aren't any weather delays, this would limit him to two starts in the Series. C'mon Andy Pettitte. We need one of those lock down playoff gems from you on Sunday night.

Up over and out.

Manny Acta is your next Indians manager, beating out Bobby Valentine, Torey Lovullo (AAA mgr for Indians), and Don Mattingly. Washington Nationals is just about the only place more pathetic than the Indians dugout these days, so hopefully Manny will have a good attitude...and lots of patience.

McCarver is the worst--much worse than Buck or anyone on ESPN (including Joe Morgan). Earlier in tonight's game he said, paraphrasing, that the Yankees would know that they had won game 6 if they make it to the Series and Sabathia is pitching in Game 1. Really? ...What shrewd analysis.

Despite the hellish circumstances in Cleveland, I have been enjoying this thread as the post-season has worn on. Fans sharing their passion and knowledge, without venomous hatred, f-bombing, or sophomoric baiting. Hopefully Sabathia and Lee will continue to pitch extremely well. Carry on.

Manny Acta is your next Indians manager, beating out Bobby Valentine, Torey Lovullo (AAA mgr for Indians), and Don Mattingly. Washington Nationals is just about the only place more pathetic than the Indians dugout these days, so hopefully Manny will have a good attitude...and lots of patience.

Thanks for the update, Patrick--I hadn't seen that. Whatever happens with NY, can't wait for the Hot Stove thread come November.

Glad to see NY finally put some runs on the board, but man, Oliver is on in a wicked way tonight... got Posada to hit into a double-play and shut the Yankees down cold the following inning as well. Given L.A.'s on-the-road rally against the Bosox in the ALDS, plus the Yanks' bridge-to-Mo woes, this one's going to be another nailbiter.

Dave James, if you're watching (the board as well as the game)--what about sending Pettite out to pitch again with a 91-pitch count and a shaky inning in the 6th? A sign that Girardi doesn't have much confidence in his bullpen right now outside of Mo?

Oliver has done a hell of a job keeping L.A. in this game.

Edited by ghost of miles

Looks like Girardi made the right call. Pettitte was clearly gassed after giving up that rope that Swisher extinguished and then the single to Rivera. Hopefully, they'll get enough out of Chamberlain to get them to Mo.

Onto a totally unrelated bit of baseball news, Mark McGwire will be the Cardinals new hitting coach, replacing Hal McRae who was fired. Interesting.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Right here right now, I'll say it. Mistake to bring in Mo now.

Up over and out.

You're already partly vindicated. I know it's easy to do armchair second-guessing, but Girardi must really be in doubt about both Chamberlain and Hughes right now, to pull Joba after 7 pitches and go straight to Mo at the top of the 8th. Glad we got out of it with only one run given up... man, I would sure love a little bid of offensive padding now from the Yanks. Cano on with a walk to lead off--we could use a pop over the wall from Swisher or Jeter right now.

Thanks for the update, Patrick--I hadn't seen that. Whatever happens with NY, can't wait for the Hot Stove thread come November.

Glad to see NY finally put some runs on the board, but man, Oliver is on in a wicked way tonight... got Posada to hit into a double-play and shut the Yankees down cold the following inning as well. Given L.A.'s on-the-road rally against the Bosox in the ALDS, plus the Yanks' bridge-to-Mo woes, this one's going to be another nailbiter.

Scioscia waited too long to pull Saunders. Looks like it might cost them the game. Also, I hope Dale Scott isn't working the WS. What's up with calling balls 4 inches off the outside of the plate strikes???

Whew! :excited: :rsmile:

So great to see Mo and Posada hugging after Mo struck out Mathews. And what a great start from Pettitte--really glad to see the Yankee old guard going back to the World Series.

A good thing, too, that they wrapped it up tonight & didn't have to use CC... they might be able to send him three times against Philadelphia now, though starts 2 and 3 would be on three days' rest. (Game 1 will be CC vs. Cliff Lee... man, that's an incredible pitching match-up!)

I think it's going to be a really great World Series. Phillies took 2 of 3 from NY during the regular season at Yankee Stadium. A few days ago, after the Yankees had won Game 4 against the Angels and talk of a NY-Philly series was beginning, one online columnist wrote something to the effect of, "Everybody keeps saying that only the Phillies have a chance of beating the Yankees... what they should be saying is, 'Only the Yankees have a chance at beating the Phillies.'"

Nice article about A-Rod:

A-Rod finally proves he belongs in pinstripes

And so he knocked off Rivera’s cap in their mad pas de deux, nearly disappeared inside CC Sabathia’s bear hug, locked arms with Jorge Posada and Jeter, then ultimately broke off for another long embrace with Jeter, a one-time best friend with whom he’d spent his first five seasons in New York sharing an uneasy truce, one that left both men diminished. Jeter, by the disappearance of the Yankee hegemony that had ruled in the earlier years of his career, Rodriguez by a barren harvest of Octobers that mocked his unquestioned skills.

No more.